Swollen nasal passages since car trip, confused and worried.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longdally

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am a proud bunny mom of a mini lionhead mix and he is my everything. We spend a lot of time together and I lead a very quiet lifestyle. The only
thing I’ve recently been doing often (to dally’s dismay) is long car trips. My friends and family are back in a different state and I have medical procedures done in that state. Usually dally is fine in the car, albeit a little scared. However about halfway through our trip last week (4 hours) I found that his nostrils were extremely swollen and weird looking. I wasn’t able to get in with my old vet before I left and was advised on reddit that it’s likely due to stress and will resolve itself. However we are back home and it still looks very concerning. He has no other behavior changes, he’s eating and pooping etc but it’s just so weird and I’ve found nothing online. Is it vet time? (Also important to note that his nails are very long and it’s possible from what I saw that he could be scratching his nose by mistake. I plan on cutting them today; I was trying to reduce the amount of stress he felt during trips).

Attachments

• 880E23DB-91ED-4327-BE47-090FE379F513.png
    880E23DB-91ED-4327-BE47-090FE379F513.png
    587.9 KB · Views: 4
  • FE64AA08-FA23-4C4F-B381-A161039E3D95.jpeg
    FE64AA08-FA23-4C4F-B381-A161039E3D95.jpeg
    149.3 KB · Views: 4
Any time a rabbits respiratory system is compromised it should be checked out by a knowledgeable rabbit vet. If you are seeing signs of respiratory distress like labored breathing, noisy breathing, and/or mouth breathing, this is can be an immediate emergency and mean getting your rabbit to the vet right away.
It could be your rabbit is experiencing an allergic reaction and swelling of the airways. There is also a virus that can cause facial and airway edema, called myxomatosis, though this is rare in the US and mostly occurs around the west coast states when it does happen.

So if your rabbit is showing any signs of having trouble breathing, I would recommend getting to a rabbit vet immediately. If your rabbit isn't showing any signs of respiratory difficulty, it's up to you if you think you need to get it checked by your vet. But if it's not improved or clearing up by tomorrow, I would recommend at least phoning and consulting with your vet. You may just need to give the anti inflammatory meloxicam, and/or the antihistamine benedryl (diphenhydramine), which your vet can assist you with.

https://rabbit.org/rabbit-vet-listings-near-me/

Any time a rabbits respiratory system is compromised it should be checked out by a knowledgeable rabbit vet. If you are seeing signs of respiratory distress like labored breathing, noisy breathing, and/or mouth breathing, this is can be an immediate emergency and mean getting your rabbit to the vet right away.
It could be your rabbit is experiencing an allergic reaction and swelling of the airways. There is also a virus that can cause facial and airway edema, called myxomatosis, though this is rare in the US and mostly occurs around the west coast states when it does happen.

So if your rabbit is showing any signs of having trouble breathing, I would recommend getting to a rabbit vet immediately. If your rabbit isn't showing any signs of respiratory difficulty, it's up to you if you think you need to get it checked by your vet. But if it's not improved or clearing up by tomorrow, I would recommend at least phoning and consulting with your vet. You may just need to give the anti inflammatory meloxicam, and/or the antihistamine benedryl (diphenhydramine), which your vet can assist you with.

https://rabbit.org/rabbit-vet-listings-near-me/
I have a vet appointment scheduled Tuesday and I’m hoping he is okay! He has no other signs of distress but better safe than sorry.

Latest posts

Back