Swollen Foot

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Augustus&HazelGrace

Reaction score
I posted about my mini rex a week ago. I was feeding she was fine when I came around to get water bottle 15 minutes later she had her foot wrapped up in her blanket. I took it off immediately, it was swollen no black nails or anything. I gave her a baby aspirin for pain and swelling and it went back to normal, then a few days later it was super swollen and I gave her more baby aspirin but I knew I shouldn't give it to her for an extended time so I stopped it and hoped it would get better on its own. It didn't and she started losing fur on the back of her foot so she is now on LA-200, .2ml per day. What can I do in the meantime for her pain? She is acting normal eating and drinking fine. Also, nobunny has blankets anymore. They are outside that is why they had blankets but now I have set up heat lamps for them.

Was the LA 200 prescribes to you by a vet? I don’t understand why we’d give an antibiotic in this situation.. You would be best to get some metacam from a vet, as not only does it help with pain but it is also anti inflammatory so should help with any swelling. I’m a bit concerned about the fur loss on the foot that was swollen, could you maybe take a photo? If it is both feet then it is an issue with the environment and sore hocks, but if it is just the one I’d worry that there is some sort of necrosis to the skin from the tourniquet.

Another breeder said it looked like an infection so he said to give that. I don't have money at the moment to take her to the vet. I won't be able to for another 2 weeks. It is just the one foot, and her toes and skin are not black, I had another rabbit that I had to put down about a month ago due to the same issue she did have necrosis because she had done it while I was at school and I don't know how long it was on there. This one I know it was only on there for about 15 minutes and it did not break any skin. How much does Metacam usually cost? She is also getting B-complex shot every other day because this is what he gave me too.

Find a vet with a payment plan or a rescue that will help. You have no idea what is going on under the skin causing these issues and need to find out.
A simple lack of circulation to the area for such a short period of time should not be causing this much trouble which means something else is going on.
The fact that this has already happened to another one of your rabbits and that rabbit had to be put down should be a wake up call.

here is a picture of her foot. The black part is scab not skin.
GetFileAttachment

Refer to my previous post.
Your rabbit needs to see a vet and be PROPERLY assessed for damage to the internal structures of her leg.
That doean't just happen from 15 minutes of no circulation to an area.
Denying an animal proper medical care is also neglect.
That is a very unhappy looking leg.
Take her to a rabbit savvy vet! At this point you are better off surrendering her to a rescue that will actually provide the medical care she needs.

Do you know why this would have happened if it was only on there for 15 minutes because I know it wasn't on there longer than that? I had picked her up and petted her for a minute after I fed her, so I know it wasn't wrapped up then.

Latest posts

Back