Swollen eyebrows?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChloeC

Reaction score
I’m writing this post on behalf of my mother. Her rabbit seems to have swollen eyebrows and I can’t find very much information online about what this might be. We are hoping it’s not anything serious. Any information will help! I’ve attached a picture.

Attachments

• B1B4A956-0B06-42C1-9B78-B2BEE6D49A2C.jpeg
    B1B4A956-0B06-42C1-9B78-B2BEE6D49A2C.jpeg
    475.2 KB · Views: 15
Uhm, I hope someone else has a plausible explanation.
It might be that due to bad own experiences I might over react here, but I would quarantine all other rabbits from this one and each other right away, with full blown desinfection and quarantine proceedures. Then read up, or have a vet check that it's not Myxomatosis. I don't know if that is even possible in your region, but I would get very nervous about any symmetrical swelling around the eyes, later ears and genitals. Although, as far as I can remember, it were the eye lids that were affected first at my rabbits. Lost 14 out of 15 over the course of 3 weeks.

Sorry, I don't want to scare you, it could be something harmless like an allergy, but I would check out that it is not something infectous asap. And play safe meanwhile.

Besides a poisonous bug bite or an allergic reaction to something being possible causes, the main thing that can cause inflammation like that around the eyes is myxomatosis like preitler mentioned, and if it's this it's extremely serious and an emergency. But I've never heard of a case of it occurring in Utah. There have been a few along the west coast, so it is possible.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Viral_diseases/Myxo/Myxo.htm (myxomatosis in rabbits)

I would very strongly suggest the rabbit be taken to an experienced rabbit vet immediately as an emergency case. You need to tell them it's a possible emergency, and that your rabbit may have symptoms of myxomatosis because this would be a contagious disease to other rabbits. Just be aware that sometimes rabbits don't survive this, if this is what the rabbit has. But once the rabbit is put on antibiotics and anti inflammatories and the case isn't severe, that can sometimes give them a chance of surviving.

If it's not this but is a bug bite or allergies, then anti inflammatories and other medications, and possibly syringe feeding (if the rabbit isn't eating ) may be needed.

The best rabbit vet along the Wasatch front (if that's where the rabbit is located) is dr harris at wasatch exotics in ft union, but they are somewhat expensive. Another good one is dr Orr at what was creekside vet in draper, but its changed so not sure of the name now. In utah co there is dr Ipsen in payson who is decent. Or look at this rabbit vet list for north wasatch.
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

I am no expert by any means, but to me, in the photo it just looks like a moulting pattern. Don’t take my word for it though, in case it is something serious. If it is swollen, I would definitely take bun to the vet.

However as I say, my bun is a sable point, and whenever he moults it’s always around his eyebrows first.

Here’s a photo of what I mean for reference.
Same here. Pics not very clear she wasn't in the mood for a photo session. And it was more 'swollen' a couple days ago as you can see there's also V-shaped pad on her head she always has very clear V (or heart) when her fur is growing, a few times a year.

IMG_20200715_162646[1].jpg

IMG_20200715_162455[1].jpg

IMG_20200715_162610[1].jpg

IMG_20200715_162653[1].jpg

IMG_20200715_162700[1].jpg

Besides a poisonous bug bite or an allergic reaction to something being possible causes, the main thing that can cause inflammation like that around the eyes is myxomatosis like preitler mentioned, and if it's this it's extremely serious and an emergency. But I've never heard of a case of it occurring in Utah. There have been a few along the west coast, so it is possible.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Viral_diseases/Myxo/Myxo.htm (myxomatosis in rabbits)

I would very strongly suggest the rabbit be taken to an experienced rabbit vet immediately as an emergency case. You need to tell them it's a possible emergency, and that your rabbit may have symptoms of myxomatosis because this would be a contagious disease to other rabbits. Just be aware that sometimes rabbits don't survive this, if this is what the rabbit has. But once the rabbit is put on antibiotics and anti inflammatories and the case isn't severe, that can sometimes give them a chance of surviving.

If it's not this but is a bug bite or allergies, then anti inflammatories and other medications, and possibly syringe feeding (if the rabbit isn't eating ) may be needed.

The best rabbit vet along the Wasatch front (if that's where the rabbit is located) is dr harris at wasatch exotics in ft union, but they are somewhat expensive. Another good one is dr Orr at what was creekside vet in draper, but its changed so not sure of the name now. In utah co there is dr Ipsen in payson who is decent. Or look at this rabbit vet list for north wasatch.
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Thanks for the information. I am in SLC, but my mother lives in Illinois. We we afraid of mycomytosis, but her vet said it is highly uncommon anywhere in the US and they would have to order the testing kit (because of how uncommon it is). I know that doesn’t mean it’s impossible, but have you heard of cases in the Midwest? Also, what are other signs to look out for?

Thanks for the information. I am in SLC, but my mother lives in Illinois. We we afraid of mycomytosis, but her vet said it is highly uncommon anywhere in the US and they would have to order the testing kit (because of how uncommon it is). I know that doesn’t mean it’s impossible, but have you heard of cases in the Midwest? Also, what are other signs to look out for?
Can you post more pictures showing her eyes? How long ago you've noticed that?
Myxomatosis starts like conjuctivitis so you should see signs, also mouth and genitalia become moist and swollen so if skin/eyes look healthy maybe it's not it. If it is really myxomatosis then chances are very slim that they will survive and if you have more rabbits in contact they all can get it. Anyway, you will know after 14 days from first symptoms, or you will see sooner skin around eyes, mouth, genitalia it will be progressing.

Molting pattern can change sometimes, I don't know how for your rabbits I think I can see Cali from your pic, my rabbits are molting differently sometimes. Also depends on what food/supplements they are getting during molting.

Last edited:
Midwest would be even more unlikely than Utah. I've only heard of cases on the west coast(California, Oregon, Washington). If there is actual swelling going on and not just an odd molt pattern causing the appearance, I would suspect a bug bite or allergies as the most likely cause. She(and the vet) should be able to tell if it's swelling because the skin underneath the fur will actually be puffy. It'll affect around the eyes as well.

I’m writing this post on behalf of my mother. Her rabbit seems to have swollen eyebrows and I can’t find very much information online about what this might be. We are hoping it’s not anything serious. Any information will help! I’ve attached a picture.
Hi, can you give us some update hopefully your rabbit's all good now?

Just for the record I've contacted the OP and it was nothing dangerous just shedding, was nothing scary at the end

Latest posts

Back