swollen after nuetering

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tatum

Reaction score

Hello,

I have a new ND since last Thursday. He went in on Monday to get nuetered. I noticed that his scrotum is swollen. (he is around age 3or 4, not sure as he is a rescue from a garage sale).I talked to the staff and my vets wife told me that he is moving around too much (too much activity),and that seeping is going on. I then moved him to a smaller cage and even today they are very full. I do plan on calling vet tomorrow, but has anyone had any experience with this problem. His wife also told me that sometimes they have to take the scrotum off because of this.

I also want to let you know that my other ND is doing much better. He put her on benebac and the pink stuff and she is doing much better and hasn't leaked urine for a few days.

I hope to bond these 2 ND's in about a month after the hormones are gone from the little guy. Thanks in advance!

Tatum

There's a lot of info in the Resource Center:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12040&forum_id=10

Here's someexcerpts from one of the articles:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html

Post surgical Care

1. A neuter and (especially) a spay will make your bunny sore for a day or two. Many experienced vets routinely administer analgesics (e.g., Banamine (flunixin meglumine) )after the surgery, just to keep the bunnies comfortable and to encourage them to eat as soon as possible.
2. Under normal circumstances, rabbits do not require post-surgical antibiotics.
3. Keep your rabbit quiet for a few days after surgery, but do try to maintain normal feeding and bonding times. There is no reason to separate bonded pairs or groups as long as the bunnies interact calmly. Adhesions usually will begin forming within 24 hours. If your male bunny seems very sore after his neuter, a sitzbath in a weak solution of betadine and lukewarm water (about 1 tablespoon of betadine in four cups of water) can be very soothing. Be sure to gently check the sutures for a day or two after surgery to be sure the bunny isn't chewing them, and to check for unusual redness, swelling or signs of infection. If you see any sign of problems, the bunny should be taken back to the vet immediately.
4. Watch to be sure that your bunny does not chew out the sutures! Many vets use subcuticular (under the skin) sutures that cannot be chewed out, and may even put a line of surgical glue over the incision for extra strength. You might ask your vet about this before your bunny has his surgery. In most cases, an E-collar is not necessary for a rabbit, and may cause more stress than it is worth, except in extreme suture-chewing cases. If your bunny does end up wearing an E-collar for a day or two, note that you will probably have to feed him his cecotropes, since he will not be able to reach them for normal ingestion. (More information on the nature of cecotropes can be found in "The Mystery of Poop".)
7. Offer your rabbit a bowl of water, even if a water bottle is usually used. A rabbit needs to drink after surgery, but often won't do so if he has to "work" for his water. He will recover more quickly if he's well hydrated.
Hope this helps!
sas

Hi Pipp,

Thanks for all the good info, very interesting. I did call my vet and when he called me back,he wasn't too concerned, but to watch it over the weekend and it should not get any bigger. Long as their is no heat he wasn't too concerned. I will keep you posted..thank you again..

Tatum

Hi, Just a short update on my male. His scrotum sac (what is left of it) is still hard. Seems that he is very active, ripping up newspaper and running around at night. They will check him on Thursday when I take him in to get his stitches out. Will let you know what I find out..Tatum

Hi Haley,

Sorry, and thanks for asking. He is doing fine. They said he was fine and since he has had his stitches out, the sac has shrunk smaller and smaller. Guess I worried about nothing. Now my daughter and I are working on bonding my almost 6 yr old ND with him. He likes her and I think she likes him better than any of the other rabbits I have tried with her. Maybe the difference is an older male (3 or 4 yrs)

Tatum

Great! Glad to hear that he is feeling better. Is your girl spayed? I assume so if youre attempting bonding this soon..if not, better wait :)

Keep us posted on the bonding and let us know if you need any help or just need some encouragement. Ive bonded two males and am working on bringing in a third..I know how frustrating it can be.

Good Luck!

-Haley

Thanks Haley,

Yes, the other one is a female. She lost her bonded sister last year from GI stasis (so sad). She hasn't wanted any other rabbit, she growls and lunges, lays her ears back and even bit a toe nail off of one of my rescues off so that it bled pretty good. She seems to like this little guy whom has been nuetered for almost 3 weeks now. We have had their cages up against each other, but my female got a uti and we separated them for the time she was on meds. We have since put 2 large expens together and put them in a couple times. I do thinks she doesn't hate him. They will ignore each other for a while, then Oakey wants her attention so he won't leave her alone. He is not in the least aggresive with her. She tolerates him very well, but after a while she starts to growl and lunge, but no biting. That is a big step for her. Soon after this goes on for a few minutes we separate them so she doesn't get too upset.

When the two sisters were together she would go after the other one, but she never hurt her, she just has this way about her.

Thanks Haley for caring..TAtum:happybunny:

oh, and yes, she is spayed. i now have 5 spayed females and 3 nuetered males..

O wow..8 bunnies..Im jealous!

Good Luck with your bonding and keep us posted. She sounds like quite the little Diva :) What a sweet little boy for putting up with it though

Good Luck!

-Haley

Latest posts

Back