switching pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumpkinbumpkin

Reaction score
i would like to switch pumpkin over to oxbow simple harvest pellets because it’s easier for me to get, (she gets oxbow essentials now) but im just wondering how i should do it. i know i need to mix it for a while for her to get used to it.

everyday she gets 1/2 tablespoon in the mornings and 1 tablespoon in the evenings.

i was thinking about combining both her morning and evening pellets together then mixing the 1/4 new and 3/4 old, and putting it in seperate bags for each day, and then just scooping it out from the bags instead of mixing it 2 times a day. would that be okay? im just concerned that i’ll scoop out more new pellets than old, but im going to make seperate bags for each day so she’ll still be getting the same amount daily. i was just wondering if you all thought this would be a good way to do it?

im so sorry if this doesnt make any sense i’m bad at explaining things 😭

I wouldn't mix. I would just measure out the usual amount when feeding, but dump out about 1/4 and replace with the new pellets. You're already feeding such a small amount, that it's unlikely to cause a problem if it's not exact.

I would do this for 3-4 days, up to a week(or longer if needed). If your bun is sensitive to digestive upset, I would take a week. Then increase to half and half the next week. Then 3/4 new, 1/4 old the third week. So this can take anywhere from 2-4 weeks. If your bun isn't super sensitive, and with this being the same brand and a similar pellet, I would just do 3-4 days before increasing. But any signs of digestive upset or mushy poop, take longer for the increase.

Put her regular pellets and then put some of the new pellets. The same amount you give your rabbit

Latest posts

Back