Swimming...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumby

Reaction score
I'm curious as to whether or not I can let Gumby go for a dip in the pool. It is a salt water pool, so there is no chlorine. It is SO hot here today, he seems to just lie there and I may be easily worried, but it scares me. I moved his cage outside to the shade because itscooler outside than in, and now I have him back inside infrontof a fan. I just don't know if swimming will cool him down or if it will just stress him out, or if it can cause him some problems. I've read online that if he goes into the sun after hes wet he could easily get heat stroke? Any help would be appreciated :)

I dont know if you let him go for a swim or not, but I would not recommend it atall. The salt water will definetly irritate his eyes and if he should accidently drink some it could cause some other issues. I would either bring him inside to cool him down, or spray him with a water bottle filled with tap water.

NO NO NO. This can easily stress him out enough to cause a heart attack. Don't risk it.

There are many other ways to keep your bunny cool. Offer ice packs, frozen water bottles, and marble tiles from the freezer. Fans and air conditioners in the same room are good as well.

Hhm, nope didn't let him swim, we brought him inside but it was little help since it was cooler outside than in, but atleast we had a fan inside so he seemed a little more comfortable. I've heard the ice packs are actually a horrible idea because they're toxic if chewed open, not sure if this is true. We'll definitely be trying the frozen water bottles for tomorrow.

I use a shallow large dish and fill with water, Belldandy gets in it and plays. It just has cool tap water in it. I've considered upgrading to a cat box.

I don't have A/C and my bunny is outside/inside.

If it's a pool with a "salt water generator", it still has chlorine. The SWG just generates chlorine instead of you having to add it all the time.

I'd let him try out a little splash in a wading pool first. Some rabbits love the water - some don't.

Be careful that he doesn't get chilled. Rabbit fur is dense and doesn't dry easily - another reason to just use a shallow wading pool rather than full immersion.

Full sun can cause heat stroke - wet or not.

What I would do is have him in the bathtub with you, provided there is no soap. I did that with my rabbits when I had to give them butt baths. After the butt baths I would drain the dirty water and fill the tub with clean water and be in there with them so if they wanted out I could get them out and place them on the bathroom floor and I dry them off with a towel and they stay in the bathroom where it is warm and then I take a bath/shower and after I am done I put them back in their cage. They are dry by the time I get done with my bath/shower.

Latest posts

Back