Sweets is always hungry....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweets

Reaction score
hey bunny peoples :)

My bunny Sweets is turning 3 in July and at the moment he's moulting. He weighs 2.4kilograms. I've stopped giving him as much pellets as normal because they make him have really horrible poos...since I've given him less pellets his poo is back to normal healthy ones.

So because of that I've started giving him more vegies and he's going crazy for them! He's also eating like twice the amount of hay that he used to eat.

His normal diet is...
about 4 or 5 slices of carrot, 4 baby pak choy (or bok choy/choy sum) leaves and a handful of celery leaf. That's breakfast.

He'll eat hay and like a tablespoon or less of pellets around lunch time. He has access to hay at all times.

In the evenings/afternoon I normally give him some more leaf and some mint/parsley from the garden.

and at bedtime...around 11pm, he gets the same as breakfast.

Do you think I'm feeding him enough? I've read that the more bunnies eat the more they drink, is that true?
One more question!! What other vegetable like carrots do your bunnies enjoy? Sweets LOVES carrots, but I know he shouldn't have too many.
He seems fine and really happy and snuggly and I love him so much!!!
:inlove:

here's a picture of him eating his breakfast...I'm sure he's finished it by now. :D
582792_10150892358715808_555605807_9488408_731436558_n.jpg

Thanks for any replys or info :)
Katie

Carrots should only be a treat, no more than a couple slices a day. Cut back slowly, though, & replace them with lettuce [not iceberg] & a few more pellets. At least that's what I would do.

The "horrible poos" probably were excess cecals & were caused by too rich a diet. Though cutting back on pellets stopped them, cutting back on the sugar-filled carrots could have done the same thing, I'm sure.

Whether their food increases or decreases the amount of water a rabbit drinks depends what they eat. With greens, they probably drink less; but with pellets, they'd drink more.

My buns get pellets daily, unlimited hay, 1/2 cup of raw oatmeal oats each, and veggies 5 times a week. I don't measure the veggies, I deliver them just like your picture shows. A bowl full of noms!

So far my buns preferences are: parsley, kale, dandelion greens, romaine lettuce, spinach, carrot, apple, fig, celery tops, red and orange peppers, sometimes green peppers, and cabbage.

Broccoli stems. Q-tip LOVES them.

She gets leafy lettuce and cilantro or parsley every day, and gets the occasional strawberry top as a treat, as well as broccoli stems. She loves the green part of the carrot....

Thanks for the replies guys, sorry it's taken me so long to write back.

Ok so I'm giving sweets only 2 or 3 slices of carrot a day now and pellets in the morning & night and his excess cecals have stopped.

I took him to the vet on sunday because he's had a runny nose for about a week.....the vet took his temp and checked his teeth and all was normal so she thought it could be an allergy....so I took out his hay for a day and gave him extra greens and cleaned his litter tray everytime he peed in it...but his nose was still wet :confused2:

then yesterday I was sitting with him and he had a drink from his water bowl, he's started to become a very noisy drinker...anyways after he had a drink he wiped his face and his nose was wet!!!! So now i'm thinking it's not allergies, he's jut wetting his face when he's drinking.

So i'm wetting his greens now to hopefully stop him drinking as much from his bowl, see how that goes.

Also I want go get him orchard grass or timothy hay cubes but i have to buy them online....so might give that a try.

ah i posted my reply twice and don't now how to delete it sorry....this is the edited post....you can ignore it ;)

You could try a water bottle? I took away Tippy's bowl and gave her a bottle because she was getting her face all wet. Also, she'd stick her paws in the water and flick them at me.

I want him to drink from a bottle but he just won't do it. I think I'll have to try harder to get him to though.
lol flicking water at you! silly bunny :p

he's been eating hay today for the first time in a couple of days and he just had a crazy sneezing attack :(
So maybe he is allergic to hay, ahhhh my baby bunny.
he's fine now but I don't want to give him hay again just in-case....
I put him on my bed and wrapped him in my jumper and he lay down near me & had a little rest.

I'll be keeping a close eye on him and take his hay away....if he is sneezy when he has no hay he'll be going back to the vet

Rabbits must have hay or the digestive system will shut down eventually. And the front teeth need it to wear down properly. I would try sifting out any hay dust before you give it to Sweets. If that doesn't work, try the hay cubes. They don't do the job as well as hay strands do, but would be better than none. Or maybe long strands of fresh grass would work for digestion.

I know he needs hay but I just want to take it away for the night at least while I can't watch him. He should be ok for a day or two right? I'm buying him more greens tomorrow so he'll have plenty to eat.
I want to get him the oxbow hay cubes but I have to buy it online because I can't get it at any shops here :grumpy:

We get oaten hay 'cause it's the only one we can get. I've seen orchard hay/grass online, is that better? or less dusty?
Maybe Sweets is allergic to the kind of hay we get.

I'll have to try growing some cat grass for him for extra goodness.

:sigh: I tell him everyday he's not allowed to get sick, I love him so much.

Have you tried wetting the hay? That's what we've always done with horses that had allergies :) It really keeps the hay dust down, and it really helped the couple of horses I've done it for. You just soak it in a bucket of water for a couple of minutes, shake off the excess water and then give it to them. You don't want it to be sitting for too long damp like that in case mold starts to grow, but I'd just keep an eye on it :)

Shalom,
Lauren

Latest posts

Back