Sweetheart has injured her back! (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gentle giants

Reaction score
Sweetheart is a (still) unspayed Mini Rex doe of around six years old. Her age is a guess, her former owner told me she was about a year to a year and a half when I got her. Sweetheart lives in a group of bunny friends, Daisy, Buzz and Delilah.
Yesterday all was fine, everybody hopping around normally and eating enthusiastically. Today Sweetheart didn't come over to eat when I fed, she wouldn't even move out of her corner. I picked her up to look her over and saw that she had peed on herself, which is not like her since she is usually very clean, even with not being spayed. When I set her back down, she was standing, but couldn't hop. Her front legs moved forward normally and her back legs were doing a sort of shuffle step.
She seems to mainly have bladder and bowel control, just with a little leakage. I have given her Tramadol for the pain, I always have that on hand since I use it for my migraines. She is still not the slightest bit interested in pellets or water, I am going to give the pain meds a little more time to work before I try any treats.
Getting to the vet today would be very difficult for me as I am actually sick myself and have been for several days. Plus my DH is out of town and can't take me either. Hopefully I can get her into the vet tomorow, does anyone have any tips/ideas to try until then? I am almost afraid to try picking her up and syringe feeding her even, for fear of making her problem worse.

I would suggest immobolising her if you can, and definitely bring her inside. Maybe, depending on her size, in something like a carry case, with rolled towels on either side (maybe with something absorbant like vet bed underneath), and put in there with both food, hay and water easily reachable.

If she has a friend then bring her friend is too, but just maybe so they are next to each other if having them together means Sweetheart tries to move around more.

She may also need a heat pad/rice sock if she is cool.

I would go with probably water being of more importance than food right now, so keep her as hydrated as you can. Randy always says hydration is more important than food.

Is Tramadol an anti-inflammatory? I don't know. Could you call your vet for advice today?

Paralysis
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12044&forum_id=10

This link about Caring for Sick and Injured rabbits might help http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12158&forum_id=10

Disabled bunnies
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=32236&forum_id=10

I have brought her inside already, I have her set up on a thick cushion of towels in my big corner bathtub. She doesn't seem willing to move at all, but that may change if the pain meds make her feel better. She looks a little more alert than she did when I brought her in and is sitting up a little better, but still no interest in food/water.

So, you think it's an acute injury, not a progressive disease? The reason I ask is that it could be pain from her kidneys that makes her not want to move much, and that would also explain the incontinence. It also brings to mind EC, which starts with urinary issues and hind leg issues. I know she was ok yesterday, but is it possible that her hopping has gotten progressively worse in the past few days?

If you think she may have had an acute injury, try an anti-inflammatory like Metacam or ibuprofen, which can be given in addition to the tramadol. Tramadol is really good for pain relief and doesn't do any kidney damage, but it's not anti-inflammatory. I think if you are suspecting an acute injury, the benefit of the anti-inflammatory drug outweighs any potential kidney stress.

I tried dandelion leaves, she is totally uninterested in anything at all. :cry2
I picked her up and tried very gentle pressure on her belly to see if she would wet herself or had control, and it seemed to hurt her. She kind of whimpered a little, so I set her back down, and she did this almost like a cough or a grunt. From pain mabye? I don't know.

Tonyshuman, I hadn't noticed anything wrong with her hopping/movement until today. It's possible I could have missed it what with her and the others all running up and crowding around at once when I come in, but I know her appetite and such were great yesterday. I was assuming injury because of the suddeness of it. Also there was a big storm last night, I thought mabye the thunder and such made her run/jump around and hurt herself?

Ok, that makes sense. The fact that her bladder is hurting her worries me though, or it could be something deeper in there that's bothering her. I think she needs an ultrasound or x-ray soon. I don't think she's broken her back, but if she fell on it, she could have kidney damage. She could also have fallen on her belly and hurt the bladder, etc. I know you're not feeling well, but it would be good to get her to the vet soon, at least within a week.

I am going to take her in and drop her off at the vet's first thing in the morning. I was just talking to them and the receptionist said the vet is only going to be in the office until 9:30, so I am going to drop Sweetheart off first thing so the vet can see her. That way she can get checked out without me and all three of my boisterous children having to sit there with her. I would not want to wait even a couple of days, she has really got me worried. I am going to make her a pedialyte/dandelion/pellet slurry tonight and syringe her a little to keep her hydrated and her gut moving.

A friend of mine's rabbit got spooked and ran into the side of his x-pen. At first they thought it might be temporary but the x-ray told a different tale. Sonny is doing well and manages to get around using his wheelie.

I would switch to the Metacam. She may eat something once that takes effect.

That sounds good. Also, you won't have to sit around feeling ill with the kids in tow at the vet's. Sounds like you have it under control, I'll be sending good vibes!

pla725 wrote:

I would switch to the Metacam.  She may eat something once that takes effect.  

Unfortunately this has to be the other way around. Its very important not to give Metacam to a bunny with an empty stomach and also to a dehydrated rabbit, especially an older rabbit.

sas :pray:

If you think it's an injury....use Metacam along with the Tramadol. I use Metacam with caution but as far as the NSAIDs, it carries the least baggage when used in rabbits.

Randy

Oh I'm so, so sorry.

Binky Free Sweetheart.

x

(I'm going to put RIP in the title so people know-I hope that's ok, if you want different wording, just PM me :) )

gentle giants wrote:
Sweetheart passed away about two hours ago.

Thank you all for your replies and good thoughts.

:bigtears:
prey animals do not display their weakness,s..they are brave beyond my understanding/this is why i say we are our pets first line of defence,,no time for radiographs,tests,.what a lose/life is precious,,god bless(rip),james waller

Latest posts

Back