sweet potato and potato leaves/vines?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellaterra214

Bellaterra214
Reaction score
While searching for information on sweet potato and potatoes leaves/vines, I have found conflicting information and need your help. Are the vines and leaves of sweet potato safe? what about potato?

thanks

Potato leaves and vines are poisonous to rabbits. They can eat the potato but it's not very good for them. I personally would never feed potato, but I believe you can. I'm not 100% sure if sweet potato is the same.

Potato is very high in simple carbohydrates, which the bunny gut cannot break down. It can even mess with their natural gut flora. So I wouldn't recommend feeding potato either.

There is some confusion going on. Can rabbits eat the leaves and vines of both the potato and sweet potato? Not the actual potato.

Can rabbits eat the leaves and vines of the following plants?

Sweet potato
Potato

Had some extra sweet potatoes under the sink, so instead of throwing them away, i put the sweet potatoes in water on the window sill. Waiting impatiently for the leaves to grow and it doesn't grow fast enough. it has sprouting white roots, but no buds yet.

Latest posts

Back