Swapped hutch level- stressed rabbit!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurat

Reaction score
My 2 male rabbits are separated following neutering (17 days ago), they live in a 2 storey hutch but on one level each. I needed to change the storeys around so Flumpy (the skittish/shy rabbit) would come out easier from the bottom storey to go in the run- (I couldn’t get him out of top without stressing him out, and he refused to hop in the carrier even with treats in). I cleaned the whole hutch with white vinegar and left to dry in sun for full day. Then I swapped the levels, I kept all their own toys with them etc. When I put them in the new levels, flumpy was absolutely fine- the other rabbit, waffles, was so stressed. He was thumping, biting the wood, scratching, it wasn’t nice to watch. I tried to soothe him and stroke him (which he let me) but he’s really stressed. Now I’m stuck as to move them all around again would be even more stress. They had a fight before they were neutered and I think waffles can maybe smell Flumpy ? Even though I doused the hutch with white vinegar and scrubbed it. I feel awful, what can I do? Do you think he will get used to it? Or should I do the whole cleaning process again and move him back?

I would leave it how it is, he should get used to it. And, as you said, swapping them back would just stress him out more. I hope he is doing okay by tomorrow!

Latest posts

Back