Surprise Litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribble

Reaction score
My rabbit just had a surprise litter. One little black one like her and 3 harlequins. This is her first litter (she's about 3 or 4 I think). I've been putting her in one of those large plastic totes every night because she would constantly scratch at the cage (and I guess this litter explains it) so she had her babies in the garage last night. I feel terrible but also slightly relieved she didn't have them in the cage with other because I'd hate for her to cannibalize the babies. She will be moved into her regular large cage when I get home and I guess her friend will have to be relocated elsewhere in my room so she doesn't feel her babies are threatened.

Now I've done a bit of research a while ago about breeding rabbits because I thought one of my other does was pregnant (she never was) but I've still got a few questions.

Firstly, her normal cage right now is bare bottomed plastic because they were in the process of being litter trained. Should I reline it with soft bedding now that there's babies? Anything I should put/avoid putting in the cage? Obviously she's got a nesting box now but it will need to be changed as I found the babies right before heading off to school and the best thing I could find was an Eggo Waffles box lol.
Since she's a first time mother, anything I should look out for other than the kits not looking like the Pilsbury Dough boy cause they're full of milk? Does she need her nails trimmed since she'll be near the kits? They normally get their nails trimmed but they're still a tad long.
Can't think of anymore odd questions but any tips are appreciated!

i would wait until they are 10 days old as that is when they can start to venture out
They start venturing as early as 10 days? I thought it took at least two weeks to just open their eyes!

Good to know, I would have had another surprise then lol.

Latest posts

Back