Surprise litter.....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSAR

Reaction score
My sister and I woke up this morning, the day after county fair, and fed the bunnies as usual. Well Emily was feeding Lily and saw a lot of fur in her litter box, so she put her hand in to find four blue babies! All alive!! Magic had gotten into Lily's ex pen while exercising, around four weeks ago. I saw him in with her and got him out immediatley,he wasn't even on her. A bit later was in with her again, on her head. So it must have been one of those times when he got to her, but both times he hadn't been in there long. But the deed was somehow done.

As many of you know Lily is around four years old, and she has only had one litter of four before, three were dead, and Ray was the only one to live, he is 1 year and half. We were not planning on breeding Lily again and were going to be getting her spayed, but now it will have to wait 8 more weeks! And she def will be getting spayed as we don't want more accidental litters. Autumn will also be getting spayed this year as well.

So now we have 18 bunnies. We are keeping the two girls from Sage's litter for State fair and then selling them as well as Minnie. Sippi, Bruce and Willow are gong to be sold as well because we want to stick with breeding Mini rex. And the boys from Sage's litter will be sold too.

Sigh.....we didn't want this to happen!

Yeah we are selling them, I don't want to but we would be in a couple years anyway so might as well now, if we can only show one and can't even breed them.

Yeah I am surprised and glad she did okay having them. We are still keeping a close eye on her though to make sure she is doing good.

Why can't you breed them? Just curious lol

But I think she will do ok with this litter, well hopefully anyhow.

P.S Speaking of Mini rexes, I just bought an 8 week old Blue-Eyed Black buck for my 4H leader today :) She needed a new buck lol

Wow.. definitely not a good thing! :( Sorry to hear about the accidental litter, ugh!

Maybe time to invest in better run equipment? ;)By the way, if there's some way to get them down to you.. I have about 27 extra NIC panels that I'm looking to get rid of for super super cheap.. but quite a ways away.. just offering!

Spring, yeah we're working on getting new runs that are higher. It's up to my mom's boyfriend when he'll build the next one; we currently have one that he built; A total of 4 runs that are about 2 feet high, instead of 1 foot high, like the NIC ex. pens ;) . Until then all bucks will be exercising in runs that are tall enough to prevent them from jumping.

Jackie, we can't breed the English Lops, because we almost lost our doe the last time due to some kindling issues. We have decided that we will just stick with Mini Rex because we are improving very well with our lines.

It is awful that Lily had this litter. I am so disappointed. I'm glad she's ok, and we're keeping a close eye on her, but I really wish that she hadn't been pregnant. She made it through 5 days of fair. I palpated her a few times and thought I felt something once.
As soon as the kits are weaned and sold she will be getting spayed. Hopefully in the meantime we will get some more runs to further prevent this from happening in the future.

Emily

Spring wrote:
;)By the way, if there's some way to get them down to you.. I have about 27 extra NIC panels that I'm looking to get rid of for super super cheap.. but quite a ways away.. just offering!
That would be wonderful! Floof was supposed to send us several for free but I haven't been able to contact her and she hasn't been on.

Hey I got some pics of the babies.
Here they are:
100_1286.jpg

100_1285.jpg

100_1287.jpg

100_1288.jpg

We have some more pictures of the babies. Will get them up soon. They seriously don't look like they're just one day old. haha. They look about 3 or 4 days old, with all their fuzz and even their markings are noticable! One baby has a white nose, and then almost all of them have white on their feet. You can definitely tell their Magic's babies.

I'm thinking their all going to be Blue Vienna Marked. It'd be cute if some had blue eyes, too.

I think they'll be easy to find pet homes for, because their too adorable.

Emily

That's a good question, Spring! haha. They're going to be pretty interesting looking. Magic has those lazy-V ears, so their ears are going to be just as funky as their fur. I'm wondering, will they have full mini rex fur? Is mini rex fur dominant when things like this happen?

I already know which one I'm naming - the one with the white nose. :) For names, I'm thinking-

Boys: Bentley, Dylan, Slate and Navy

Girls: Skye, Maya, Sapphire and Nilah

Unisex: Blujay, Azul, and Indigo

Right now I'm thinking if it's a boy, it's either Dylan or Bentley; if it's a girl, Skye is probably the winner.

Emily

Latest posts

Back