Super Excited - Needing Idea's

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniLopMad

Reaction score
So, ever since I've had rabbits (3+ years), I've always wanted to have a pair of house bunnies. I finally have the chance to do so.

The other day, I was introduced to a litter of bunnies rescued from an abusive situation. I fell in love with a little girl who was just so shy and sweet. I decided to reserve her for adoption :D

Everybun meet Pandora.
View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1459671461.562376.jpg

I won't be able to pick her up until her vet work is completed and she has healed from her spay, so not for a few more weeks yet.

I'm going to train her for hopping just for fun and if all goes to plan, bond her to Cloud.

This is Cloud. He isn't desexed yet, but I'm hoping to get that done before Pandora gets spayed. Then he will have a few weeks before she arrives to heal and then by the time I bond them, his hormones should be gone.
View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1459671759.149643.jpg

They will live in my living room in separate cages until completely bonded, when they will then be housed together. Unfortunately, they will not be free roam all the time - just during the day.

I have a few ideas for their cage, but I'd love to see what you all have! It can't be massively large (I have a small house) and preferably easy to clean. All of my floors (excluding bathroom, kitchen and laundry) are carpeted, so the cage needs to have a solid base and not just stay on the floor. At least until both of the buns are great with their litter habits :D

Bonding tips would also be appreciated :)

Thanks everyone!

The bunnies are adorable!

I'd schedule your boy for his neuter sooner than later. Some males can take from 4 to 8 weeks for hormones to fully dissipate. The longer you can give your boy, the better. That way there is less risk of lingering hormones upsetting (or preventing) the bonding process.

For cage options, I imagine you've looked through the old threads of "(year) cages you've made"
The 2016 thread is still slim, but there's plenty on the 2015 and 2014 threads.

We have our cage open all day so the cage itself isn't very large. We made it out of an old oven cabinet. Tile is on the main level, wood for the shelf. I usually have a mat down on part or most of the tile. We used wired closet shelving to create doors and a cage wall panel. We also put wheels on the bottom so it's easier to move to vacuum underneath.

This has been the easiest cage for cleaning.

http://youtu.be/Dd27D9yJ2zs

Here's my posts on how I built Bandit's condo/cage. It's a 2x3x5 c and c cage. The posts start about halfway down the page and continue onto the next http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showthread.php?t=73547&page=39 It has solid (plywood) floors with cut to measure vinyl flooring on top. On the bottom I also put the vinyl on the pine edging and then went along the corners with a waterproof sealant.

To the best of my knowledge, the only place to buy the grids in Australia is from Guinea Pigs Australia Shop: http://shop.guineapigsaustralia.com.au/grids-connectors-c-c/ I used 4 boxes for Bandit's cage. Everything else I bought from Bunnings.

Latest posts

Back