Super absorbent litter box bedding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use wood pellets. They are compressed saw dust and I buy wood stove pellets, but they are also sold as horse stall bedding and cat litter. They are very absorbent and also cheap, usually around $4-8 for 40 pounds. It does have a bit of a woody smell at first, but that usually goes away after a couple days.

I use pelleted recycled newspaper, the brand is good mews. Costs me about $5 for an 18 pound bag. I like that it doesn't have the woody smell, or much of any smell/dust for that matter. A lot of people like the wood pellets, I found their smell too overpowering and figured it'd be a lot stronger for my bunny who's sitting in it inches away.

I have used everything. The best is wood stove pellets. They are super cheap about 4 bucks for 40 pounds. Not only do they not smell but when I clean her cage there is no urine smell what so ever. My house has no trace of "bunny smell" at all. When they get wet they turn to sawdust and are super absorbant...

I think it also depends on the wood stove pellets you can get in your area. The ones I found locally caused everyone in my apt's eyes to burn and itch until I gave the bag away. The symptoms only arose once I brought the bag inside and went away within a day of getting rid of them. They didn't have any additives, but the phenols were just too strong for us humans to handle, so I didn't want to risk it. I'd say try to wood stove pellets and if they don't work for you, try a paper pellet.

As for paper pellets, I've found yesterday's news to work well but it does occasionally have staples/etc from the newspapers, and Pet's Preference has a sort of play-doh like smell especially when just opened or wet. I haven't found any of the odd paper-y smells with the Good Mews or the PetSmart generic paper brand. Both of which I find in the cat aisle.. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back