Sunflower and pumpkin seeds for treats?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s’moresthebunny123

Reaction score
Hi! I was wondering if I could feed sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds as a treat for my rabbit? I picked up some raw plain ones from the pet store for my hamster, but is it ok for my rabbit as well? Thanks.

Black oiled sunflower seeds (BOSS) are fed occasionally to show rabbits. I don't believe other seeds (like pumpkin) are advised.

This from Proper Rabbit Maintenance Diet
"Remember: a rabbit is a lagomorph, not a rodent or a primate. The rabbit digestive tract is physiologically more similar to that of a horse than to that of a rodent or primate, and the intestine and related organs can suffer from an overindulgence in starchy, fatty foods.
NEVER feed your rabbit commercial "gourmet" or "treat" mixes filled with dried fruit, nuts and seeds. These may be safe for a bird or hamster--BUT THEY ARE NOT PROPER FOOD FOR A RABBIT.

"...Don't feed your rabbit cookies, crackers, nuts, seeds,.... They may be high fiber for you, but not for your herbivorous rabbit, who's far better able to completely digest celluose ("dietary fiber") than you are. Fed to a rabbit, the high fat and simple carbohydrate content of "naughty foods" may contribute to fatty liver disease, cecal dysbiosis, obesity, and otherwise cause health problems."

I give Theo BOSS every once and a while (1-2 times per month) and he loves them! They make his fur super shiny and soft. I would personally stay away from pumpkin seeds.

Where do you buy them, I've only found 1 kg pack black sunflower seeds in a pet store and they are for birds or small pets but not for human consumption, is that okay? Also they are with husks?

Latest posts

Back