Summer Sniffles for Fuzz

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duckfarmer1

Reaction score
I have a beautiful black Lionhead, Fuzz, that I bought with the sniffles, but I thought it was no big deal. This was in Aug....I used VetRx on her 3 times..with breaks in between...I didn’t take Her to the vet because I have taken 4 rabbits with poor care...in my opinion..I had to look things up on the internet for. Dosages for them..the only other vet in our county is the same way..my friend works there. So, poor Fuzz, still has a yuckky nostril on the left side. It is not in her lungs. No temp.. she eats fine, drinks fine. Any other home remedies?

Hello, sorry to hear your bun has a yucky nostril. One of my girls is pretty poorly at the moment with snuffles, which doesn’t sound like what fuzz has (check her front paws to make sure the fur is not matted, nasal discharge from snuffles is thick and unlike other bunny nasal discharge, if her paws are matted she needs to get prescribed antibiotics from the vet) Currently Lulu’s care routine is;

Pro C sprinkled on food or in water.
Septrin antibiotics
Infacol in water bowl to prevent bloat from antibiotics
Olbus oil/vicks on paper towels near hutch to help with decongestion (be careful how close though because it can overpower their little lungs)
Hutch cleaned and disinfected every day to stop bacteria spreading
Immunity care health bite treats
Parsley and kale and loads of hay
Boiled and cooled water on a cotton bud to clear the nostril

Hope some of this helps!

7A46F4DF-EE32-4CBA-841A-06AC847C25F5.jpeg A57DF7EC-793C-4858-8F9F-4309189491CF.jpeg A419DD8A-6FF5-4DBF-B8F4-A740186343AA.jpeg E12F92BD-1CFD-415B-AE8D-E4E0554FA9AA.jpeg
Hhmmm, geez, ok. I ran down and took pictures. Right now the pictures just show all the hair hardened and scratched around the tiny nostrils. But sometimes there is discharge. But worst on the left. It’s not in her lungs. Does it look like an irritation from dust I just don’t know

It looks like she has discharge from her eye as well. If it is snuffles (pastuerella) you will want to quarantine her big time as this is highly contagious and can easily spread to all your other rabbits. From what I understand, breeders will quickly cull any rabbit with it to save the rest of their stock. For a pet rabbit, it would definitely require antibiotics.

I don't know if it is something else because the photos show the gook above her nose (not the way it typically presents with a runny nose). @Imbrium or @JBun are more knowledgeable than me on such medical issues. Hopefully they will see this and chime in.

Your rabbit has a bacterial respiratory infection, and I'm afraid home remedies aren't going to clear it up. Your rabbit needs to be put on the proper antibiotic, and then it usually can take a month or longer to clear up. Sometimes antibiotics are even needed long term.

There is also the possibility that the infection could be stemming from a tooth root infection, so a thorough dental exam might be needed as well. Baytril is the usual most vets will start with, but something more heavy duty like azithromycin might be needed, or pen g procaine/benzathine injections. The benefit of the pen g is that it can usually be bought otc at a farm store, so cost is usually cheaper. But what antibiotic will be effective depends on the bacteria involved.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/Bacterial/URI.htm

View attachment 43930 View attachment 43931 View attachment 43932 View attachment 43933
Hhmmm, geez, ok. I ran down and took pictures. Right now the pictures just show all the hair hardened and scratched around the tiny nostrils. But sometimes there is discharge. But worst on the left. It’s not in her lungs. Does it look like an irritation from dust I just don’t know
Oh goodness this is a vets trip for sure... she needs to be quarantined from the other buns and the hutches disinfected until you know what it is. I know it’s frustrating when vets treat them like they don’t matter (had more than my fair share of vets brushing me off because they’re considered “exotic high risk” animals”) but as a previous poster said, this doesn’t look like it will clear up with home remedies. Good luck, keep us posted.

Yeah, a lot of tough decisions, since she is one 32. I’m not a breeder. But I do dread bunnies to give away..and I have consider the vet bills, the 44 mile drive,one way,the meds, the extra time from 100 animals...all of this needs to be considered. I was told a bit ago that she would be on oral meds for two mths and the a pen q med for longer...very expensive...I don’t know if the risk outweighs the pros. I have to detach myself think of it as 32 as one unit

As was said, if it is pasteurella then your other rabbits are at risk. The only way to know is to have the discharge cultured by a vet.

Latest posts

Back