Sully lost a nail,

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicky Snow

Reaction score
So last might Sully was having a romp round theapartment, and Rue and Kweli were in their cages. and i noticed Sul wasin his cage, strange cause they all avoid the cages when out. then isaw the blood.

i freaked, he was licking his paw, so i watched to see him clean up. ithought i'd let him do his thing. it stopped bleeding. Phew! Then a fewminutes later he was licking it again, and pulling it and it wasbleeding again.

i got him wrapped up. very stressful for us both. (he's a rescue, and ihaven't handled him alot) i got some bottled water and papertowel andtried blotting the area to see what was actually injured, and he wasfully missing a nail. there was alot of blood and it kept bleeding.

Sully was really pissed about being wrapped up and squirmed awayseveral times. i thought i was causing him more stress by trying to gethim back in the burrito, so i let him back in his cage and rang my mum.

my mum and dad said to leave him alone fora few minutes, ifit was a broken nail, he would be okay. i was crying alot. i felt sohelpless.

while talking to my mum Sully was cleaning his paw again, a few momentslater he layed down. his paw had stopped bleeding and he seemed okay. ichecked him a dozen more times last night and he was okay, no blood. nolimping at all. Today he is fine.

Is there anything i should have done? should he still be checked out by a vet? Will his nail grow back?

ps- i couldn't find the broken nail, and i don't know how it happened.i think he maybe leaned against Rue or Kweli's cage, and they had a goat him. but i didn't hear anything either.

Nicole

About a year and a half ago, my bun Spanky brokeoff a nail on his front paw (got startled by the dog, and jumped ontothe slick hardwood floor awkwardly). I have Kwik-Stop, whichI put on and that stopped the bleeding. It took a year, butit's grown back. (and he still hates hardwood floors. Not that I blamehim).

My Sally is missing a toenail, she injuredherself somehow when she was a baby, I never did figure out how.Anyway, she never limped at all either, and I actually didn't realizefor quite a while that she even had an injury. Assuming the nail itselfis gone, no it won't grow back. Sally just has a smooth nub now wherehers was, and it never gives her a bit of problem. I know it's scarywhen they are bleeding and eveything, but as long as you keep it cleanhe will be just fine, and will probably not even miss it.

thanks gentle giants, and PGG,

the blood really scared me. i will check him tonite and get a betterlook to see if it's the whole nail or not. i don't want to make itworse by fiddling with it so soon.

Nicole

Iszy jumped off the table at the vet'soffice. Her nail was completely gone. Thevetput some Quick-Stop on it and it healed fine.The nail is back now.

O man! That must be SO scary!

I'll be praying for Sully's quick recovery!

If it looks like its bugging him, you can but triple antibioticointment that has benzocaine in it .. it will help wear off a little ofthe ache.

Lissa, good thing you were at the vets, poor Iszy.

T, i was sooo scared. i'll have to get some antibiotic stuff to have on hand. thanks for your prayers.

Nicole

HI Nicky:

No need for antibiotic cream unless he wont leavethe nail area alone , first time I ever had arabbit lose( break ) a neail was a Flemish of allanimals, and not one of thebabies,one of the older biggerlard butts , lol I went into panick mode also ,

noew dont laugh to hard , but the only thing I hadon hand at that moment was rolled oats ,I had my hubby hold Samantha while I appliedthe rolled oats and believe it ornot it stopped the blood just as fastas cornstarch and flour . only problemwas after the bleeding stoppedshe wanted to lick the oatmeal off as asmall treat .

Thanks for asking Carolyn, he's back to munchkinmode, and no limping. i had a look at his paw last night, andit seems the nail just broke far down. but i have learned some verygood lessons,

just because the others are in their cages, somebunny can still get hurt.

my little monsters don't always learn their lessons the first time.

how to handle a broken nail (courtesy forum members + experience)

i also must handle Sully more frequently. i have let him have hisspace, and not really picked him up. i don't know his history as astray, and in time he will learn to trust me like Rue did. (He reallyFREAKS OUT when i try to touch his head or try to hold him)

GYPSY- Oats? Dangit i had some oats, :).

ACK! That must have been scary Nicky. I'm glad everything worked out ok. Poor littly Sully.

Latest posts

Back