Suitable stuffing for mat

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffy_lop

Reaction score
Our bunny lives in an enclosure inside, but it does get quite cold in the room he's in and the floor is hard lino.
We bought him a soft house to snuggle in, but he doesn't like it, although he will snuggle on top of it and squash it - whatever floats your boat I guess!
Lately he's taken to lying on a folded towel I give him, but this gets wrinkled and looks uncomfortable.
I want to make him a mat, like two pieces of fabric sewn together and stuffed with something. I have a fairly thick mat in mind, which is just the right size and not prone to fold or wrinkle.
The question is - what do I stuff it with?
Normal stuffing is made of synthetic "wool" and would not be safe for him, because he would eat holes in the mat, for sure.
Does anyone have any suggestions about what I could fill the mat with? Raffia or something like that?
I'd be interested to hear your suggestions!
Thanks.

Is your rabbit inclined to eat fleece? (OK if chewing, but eating is the concern) If not, I'd suggest maybe just buying a few, cheap fleece blankets to use as stuffing and then use any extra as general blankets to engage with as well. Stuffing material is very piece-meal, which I think is generally more attractive for a rabbit to continually eat, as opposed to working at a larger piece of fabric.

Our rabbit bites holes in fabric. Like, all our cushions on the sofa, my best winter sheets while they were hanging on the drying rack in the living room, my daughter's shirt when she was giving him a cuddle... Not sure whether he actually eats them per se, he just nips a little bunny-mouth sized hole into them. But thanks for the suggestion, cheap fleece will probably do the trick.

I have one rabbit who loves chewing fleece and has been fine-- I clean up all the bits every morning, so I'm fairly confident she does not eat it (or at least an amount that is causing issues). Just to demonstrate how much of a fleece chewer she is....

fleece.jpg

We have a shipping blanket that has proved very useful for our bunny (our cat also sleeps on it). He digs, bites, and pulls at it but hasn’t managed to rip or eat it yet (it’s been about 2 months he goes after it multiple times a day). Feels fairly soft but hardy. It’s made of recycled denim and I think it’s this one.

https://www.amazon.com/U-Haul-Furniture-Pad-Blanket-Moving/dp/B004K9ZS7M0F82A2B5-1A87-44AD-9532-A6B3A80F7A36.jpeg0E637313-BA5E-4738-BA8A-00EEF5D62E0F.jpeg

Latest posts

Back