Suggestions welcomed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lissa wrote:
Shuu wrote:
If he's eating on his own I'd take him off the Nutrical. I've heard it can cause bloating and it's really unnecessary in this situation.
I'd like to know where you got this information. I always give my bunnies nutrical.

I don't think its that bad, it should be used with caution,under vet supervision (and isn't necessary if the rabbit is eating on its own), and it should not taken regularly. The jury's still out re: its use in GI slowdown. (Its great for anorexic,oldand otherwise seriously underweight buns). Here's an excerpt from the Etherbun Yahoo Group from somebody I trust there.

(You have to join, so I'll reprint some key bits here). She brings up a good point about suddenly switching to Nutrical, which actually makes me wonder about Pedialyte and pumpkin(which worked wonders whenmy bunny stopped eating from what turned out to be molar spurs) or anything else.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/etherbun/

The thing about nutrical is that here we are talking about the importance of gradually switching from one pellet brand to another when our rabbits are *healthy* to avoid shocking their systems, etc.
But the difference between Brand A and Brand B of pellets pales to nothing at all in comparison to the potential shock that suddenly switching to Nutrical would be.
For those who aren't familiar with this product, it was invented to provide omnivores (astronauts) with a high density nutritional source. It is now marketed for dogs and, to a lesser extent, for cats. It is *not* formulated with herbivores (rabbits) in mind,
although it can be used for them in a pinch.

The contents are:
Corn Syrup, Soybean Oil, Malt Syrup, Cod Liver Oil, Cane Molasses,Methylcellulose, Water, Peptones, dl-Alpha tocopheryl Acetate (Vit.E), Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), Manganese Sulphate, Iron
Peptonate, Thiamine HCl, Nicotinamide, Calcium Pantothenate (source of Calcium and Pantothenic Acid), Magnesium Sulphate, Pyridoxine HCl,Vitamin A Palmitate, Potassium Iodide (Source of Iodine and
Potassium), Riboflavin 5' Phosphate Sodium (Source of Vit. B2 and Phosphorus), Vitamin A Palmitate & D3 Concentrate, Folic Acid and Cyanocobalamin (Vit. B12)

Susan

And there was a brilliant exchange with her and Pam Nock last month: Here's a bit ofit:

On Dec 14, 2005, at 5:02 AM, Pamela Nock wrote:

;There are many different causes of GI stasis, including megacolor, agenetic predisposition. Weight,diet and even stress can also play arole...Some rabbits simply get "slubbish" and pick at their food, whileothersmay develop a full blown"pseudo" blockage or bloat.

And for that very reason, there is no single "best" treatment for GI slowdown--not lactulose, not nutrical,and not any of the other treatments that might be used or suggested on this list. The "best
treatment" is the one that works for the specific rabbit in question and addresses the underlying cause of the GI slowdown being addressed.

Susan

There was some good things aboutLactulose on this thread too,I think. Being a busy group, searching is a bit of a pain, but its worth it.

SAS

I have a8 week old baby here that went into a bloat last week and we were afraid we were going to lose him. He appeared to be having a hard time going to the bathroom, etc.

I gave him the simethicone that folks have recommended - plus I soaked a baby aspirin in a tiny bit of pedialyte and then syringed that into him (for pain relief).

We also did some tummy massage - a LOT of tummy massage really....and we'd put him into warm water in the sink - just his tummy and hindquarters. We found that the warm water helped him to start going to the bathroom (we think) along with the tummy massage.

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rabrefs.html#massage

I hope that this helps.

Peg

SAS, thank you for that information on Nutrical. I began giving it to Lucky because I was concerned that he wasn't getting enough nutrients, having taken pellets away and keeping him on rolled oats and hay. I also began giving him simethicone, Bene-bac, and pedialyte along with alfalfa hay.

The day after I started the regimen (Thursday), he actually began to look better...he was more alert, would come out of his cage when I opened the door - as opposed to sitting hunched in one spot - and would come to me when called. I really thought he'd turned a corner, but that thought was to be short-lived. Yesterday I went to work, and when Icame home Lucky was stretched out on his side, breathing labored. Hewas obviously dying...I guess his internal organs had just taken too much, and his little body gave out. So I wrapped him in a towel and sat with him, stroking his head and ears until he passed, about an hour later.

This has all been pretty hard to take. Last night I said goodbye to Lucky; it is just so heartbreaking to watch such a young and beautiful animal struggle and lose his fight. I keep wondering, did I do the right thing in following the vet's advice? He was adamant about not using antibiotics, he felt it would be too harmful. I guess I will never know now if it would have made a difference. Lucky fought a valiant fight, however...he was eating and nuzzling me until several hours before his death. And his personality was so infectious...from the moment he arrived he would follow me around the room, and in the mornings would get up on one of my feet and sit up, waiting for me to scoop him up. He gave kisses when I stroked him, even while in the examining room at the vet's. He was just such a sweet little boy.

This morning I noticed too, he died exactly a month to the day after Scooby died while being neutered. Losing two such beautiful creatures in just one month...it's just overwhelmed me. And today my son left to go back to college, something that is always hard on me as well. I checked on Raph this morning and while he is looking okay, I noticed he didn't eat all of his dinner...unusual for him. So now he is under surveillance as well.

Thanks to everyone for showing so much care and concern, and for all your loving words. It has meant more to me than anything.

Oh goodness, I am so very sorry about Lucky. You really have had a rough time of things. I know that you will secondguess yourself about Lucky's treatment, but you did everything that you could do. And at least he knew you loved and cared for him when he passed.

I hope Raph is doing OK. He could just be off his food because he knows something is wrong, and can feel it through you. I will be sending prayers your way.

Jan

Bassetluv, I am so sorry. I personally know the pain of losing 2 buns very close together. As if one isn't hard enough.

But Lucky came into your life for a short time, and was destined to have a short, full life with you. No matter how long they are part of our lives - days, weeks, years - they are part of the pattern our lives become.
You did all you could for him, so please don't blame yourself - but I know that is hard not to do. The 'what ifs' and 'should of's ' just fill your mind.
Separation from your son is heart wrenching too, and so I pray that you will have peace of heart at this time.

Oh Bassetluv I am so very very sorry for you.You did the very best that you could for him and fought very hard for him. Lucky had a good but short life with you but it was a good life! Please know that I feel deeply for you with so many losses:(Angie

I'm so sorry about your loss. I do understand a bit of it - this morning I got up to find that Robin's favorite "young 'un" from the weanlings had passed away during the night. I have yet to tell her that Nimitz is gone...and I'm dreading it (she's still sleeping so I have time to figure out what to say).

I'm so sorry about your losses....maybe in time you can focus your memories on the good times - no matter how short they were - with your bunnies. They were loved and cherished and they knew it....

Your family is in my thoughts and prayers today.

Peg

Dear, I'm so sorry. Please take comfort from the knowledge you did what you could for the little Angel. Remember always that he felt your love.

Oh my... I'm so sorry for your loss...

the poor thing... I'll pray for him. :(

Latest posts

Back