Sugar was Spayed today

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aurora369

Reaction score
Sugar went in to the vets today to get spayed. As some of you may remember, her last attempt was not successful and she stopped breathing when they gave her the initial tranquilizer.

The vet seemed to be very confident that he could adjust her dosage and perform a successful spay. That paired with Sugars aggressive behavior with my boys made me want to try again.

She's been home for about 4 hours now, sitting in her favourite litter box. She seems to be in pain, but not much. She's not grinding her teeth, but her movement seems a bit stiff.

The vets instructions are to start her meloxicam at 3pm tomorrow. I'm considering starting in the morning as it takes a while for it to kick in and the 24 hour shots they give never seem to last 24 hours...

I also gave her about 1cc of pellet slurry so she will have something in her tummy. She nibble a little bit on a craisen, but didn't chew and swallow one.

I'll update tomorrow!

--Dawn

Glad to hear the surgery went ok Dawn! I think its good that you went ahead with it, it will greatly improve her health and quality of life.

How is she doing today?

She's doing quite well so far. She's staying up on the shelf most of the time, but she is eating the pile of hay I put up there for her. And she takes treats. I haven't caught her eating pellets and she hasn't accepted any when I offered but she could be when I'm not looking.

She took her pain meds like a champ, not much protesting. She seems to be feeling alot better now that the meloxicam is kicking in.

I haven't noticed a change in behaviour yet, but things are not quite back to normal yet.

I'll giver her a good 2-3 weeks to heal up before I try doing any introductions to the boys again. I hope it will go smoother when she's not so hormonal.

--Dawn

What? She stopped breathin during the first spay? This must have been terrifying! I am glad everything went well this time! And the fact that she is eating anything is very hopeful! Maybe you should wait a month before you start introductions again with the other bunnies, just to make sure that she has healed well and that her hormones have calmed down enough!

Yes, during her first operation, she stopped breathing and the vet had to do resuscitation. There were no problems this time though.

I'll probably start with a couple small laundry basket rides for short periods of time. I won't do any bath tub or pen sessions for a good month.

She took her pain meds like a champ this morning. I just held the syringe up to her mouth and she lapped it up. The meloxicam is honey flavoured, so I guess she liked it. That will make giving meds so much easier.

--Dawn

Glad to hear Sugar is doing well. Keep an eye on her stitches, my rabbit Honey (the white one) pulled all of her stitches from her spay operation out after about 5-6 days but luckily it was all healed by then. When I took her back to the vet to have stitches removed, she had removed every single one all by herself!

She has also put on a lot of weight after her op!

The vet I see uses internal dissolvable stitches and glue on the outside. So far the wound looks clean and un-chewed. All of my fosters have been spayed/neutered by the same vet, and I haven't had any problems so far.

Her shaved belly looks so funny now, you can see her saggy boobs now... Poor girl will never have to worry about being bred again.

I still think it's so neat how she took her meds with out any forcing. I hope she does the same thing in the morning.

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back