Sugar-free treats?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erinmoveit

Reaction score
Can anyone think of some good treats that are low in sugar or sugar free? My buns always have an edible log that is full of sugar. It's the only thing that will keep them from eating their hutch.

I recently moved my buns to a new room that they love, but I have to re-bond with them. So I'm looking for some treats that are small, can be given frequently and don't have much sugar.

You can get those packs of corn on the cob. They're really small and should be in the small animal section. Put them in the microwave for whatever time they say on the pack, let them cool, and give them the whole cob. Some will be popped some won't be which are fine for their teeth. My rabbits love them :) I also give them yogurt drops but I think they have sugars and they're not really good for keeping them busy because they gobble them up so fast :). I also recycle paper toilet tubes and shove hay in there and taper the ends so its hard for them to access the hay. That keeps them just for a while. You can also get Timothy hay cubes that are really hard blocks. Hope that helps.

I would not recommend any corn products as they are not suitable for rabbits and can't be digested. Yogurt drops are just sugar, even the ones that aren't are dairy which is not good for rabbits. I would pretty much avoid 99% of what is sold in pet stores.

You can try Oxbow treats. They have some that are small rings and you could even break those in half easily to make them last longer.

Some rabbits like dried flowers, just make sure they are organic and not sprayed with anything. Not all rabbits like these those.

Freeze dried fruit can be ok in small amounts, but fruit does tend to be high in sugar.

If your rabbit really likes pellets, you can use those as a treat. Some people will give 1/2 the daily amount in a dish and hand feed the rest.

I agree, no popcorn unless all the unpopped ones are removed & even then, no salt or butter. Corn kernels [popcorn or not] can get stuck in the digestive system.

I don't think the 'yogurt' drops actually have any yogurt in them, just chemicals.

Honey likes dried banana peel. I wash the skin before peeling the banana, cut the peel into thin strips, let dry with in-side up, then hand feed the strips as desired. You can of course give banana skin pieces without drying, but drying is more convenient for me.

I think I'd rather let a rabbit chew on its hutch rather than give sugar.

I use their daily pellet ration as treats. Once they realized how delicious their pellets were I started giving them just a small amount of their pellets at breakfast time and the rest they eat out of my hands throughout the day.

Maybe I will try cutting back on their pellets in the morning and supplement the others as treats.

LakeCondo - I agree with you. I wish that I d idn't have to give them that log all the time. But they are eating holes in the hutch. I bought it 3 months ago for $300. We have dogs who are nice to the rabbits but I wanted to give them more protection from them than an x-pen or NIC cub structure. IF they weren't physically destroying the thing I would take it out.

Are cheerios an ok small treat?

My bunnies think oat hay is a treat! Alfalfa hay can also be a treat for adult bunnies in small amounts. Cheerios have other starch.

I also feed oat hay as a treat! I buy the oxbow oat hay which is kind of expensive, because I buy hay by the bale. So the little bags of oat with the oats left on, are the treats for Ellie.

What about greens and herbs? I buy the little packages of herbs, like rosemary, thyme, marjoram and the like. She loves them. I agree with flowers too, Foo loved roses, I would cut roses and give her fresh petals and then let some of them dry and give her petals with her food and mix it in with her hay.

Ooo, I do have some dried rose petals. I will try that! My buns are realllllly picky with hay. They'll only eat Oxbow Timothy hay. anything else they pick through and throw around

Latest posts

Back