Suddenly smell way worse

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luluznewz

Reaction score
Hello,

I've run into an unexpected problem with the rabbits. They have always lived indoors, and the smell has never really bothered me. I mean, I could always "smell them" but it wasn't actually noticably bad.

I moved to a different apartment. They are in a smaller side bedroom, and there is no nice way to say it, it reeks. I change the litterbox, and a day later it smells bad.

I'm not sure what to do, or what changed. Everything is the same except the house, and I suppose the bedroom is smaller than the bigger one they used to be in. The apartment is carpeted, but so was the last one. The one before had hardwood, and it was better there.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Has anyone else dealt with significant spell, despite regular litter box changes?

If the litter hasn't changed and they are both fixed, and if the move was recent, they could still be feeling the need to scent mark with their poop, to claim their new territory. Other than that, all I can think is that maybe they are peeing somewhere outside the litter box, that you haven't found yet.

Is it an ammonia odor or a musky smell?

What kind of litter are you using? Maybe you need something more absorbent.
If it's more musky, they're probably just marking their new territory

I personally agree with Jbun
Only because I know from experience rabbits aren't great with change,
So in order to make themselves more comfortable, they have to be able to know their state in that new area.

Thanks for the responses, all. I really didn't think about it that way, but you are totally right. I guess moving to a new home would be a big change for them. Even their cage is new. Its a lot bigger and nicer, but I can see how all that change could make them mark more.

They are both fixed, so at least there is that. There is a musky smell. A lot of it is the ammonia though. It's probably a combination of the two things. I think i'm going to switch the litter to something more absorbent and hope it settles down over time.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back