Sudden rabbit death

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David taylor

Reaction score
I dont know what kind my bunny is although I think hes some sort of giant bunny anyways we found him abandoned by a field about a year ago And we fed him all the right foods and suddely today I was sitting on my couch and suddenly it's like he got stuck under the coffee table and freaked out and he got out and was on his side almost like he was trying to get grip at the carpet but couldnt and he kept clawing at the carpet mind you this all happened within 5 seconds and I was in shock at what was happening so I didnt get up right away then he layed down on his side and just died eyes open and everything this happened about an hour ago and I'm still shaking but looking to see if anyone whould have a explanation as to what happened

I am so sorry, it was very kind of you to pick him up. I think it could be a heart attack like marium + theo said or a sanpped neck like apollo's slave said, but it could also be a heat stroke of he just came inside, bigger bunnies are more susceptible to that than smaller bunnies. He also could have been in a shock, are you sure he died? I know it's sensitive but did you check the pulse... rabbits normally did with their eyes closed. Again though I am so sorry!

I am so sorry, it was very kind of you to pick him up. I think it could be a heart attack like marium + theo said or a sanpped neck like apollo's slave said, but it could also be a heat stroke of he just came inside, bigger bunnies are more susceptible to that than smaller bunnies. He also could have been in a shock, are you sure he died? I know it's sensitive but did you check the pulse... rabbits normally did with their eyes closed. Again though I am so sorry!
Oops, sorry Mariam + theo voice type didn't agree with the a in your name😞😒

Yes I'm sure he passed he usually stayed inside because of the mink population we live right next to a river. it was very wierd thought I'm guessing he snapped his neck😭 thanks for everyone's support I'm glad he passed quickly

I would highly suspect the cause to be a cardiac arrest due to a preexisting heart condition,. It would have made him more susceptible to the sudden fright and stress of getting stuck causing too much strain on his heart. Larger breed rabbits can already be more prone to having heart issues, plus rabbits in general don't often do well in extreme stress situations, being a prey animal. I'm very sorry this happened and for your loss.

Latest posts

Back