Sudden loose poo

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howard cordingley

Reaction score
Hi folks.
hope all ok! My rabbit just suddenly gotsoft poo on his bottom which he’s more had for 12 months. But he’s ok in himself a d I tried to wipe it clean but he won’t let me. He is at vet tomorrow as part of his weekly antibiotics but wondered should I not feed him for a few hours before he has his usualfood? The vet will hopefully clean up his bottom. He did have some apple which I think caused this. But don’t want to fast him too long for obvious reasons.

Don't fast him. If something has upset his stomach, it's already happened, so best to have him eating his usual food to get things back to normal, and not feed the apple again. Though if it's true watery or pudding like diarrhea he's having, where no normal fecal balls are being produced, that's usually an emergency situation with rabbits and you should contact your vet immediately.

Don't fast him. If something has upset his stomach, it's already happened, so best to have him eating his usual food to get things back to normal, and not feed the apple again. Though if it's true watery or pudding like diarrhea he's having, where no normal fecal balls are being produced, that's usually an emergency situation with rabbits and you should contact your vet immediately.
He’s okay now thanks. I cut his food intake today down and checked and he’s ok now. I can see his bottom now. He’s behaving normal and eating well even though it’s cut down. Thanks

This is always a dificult one to answer with a glib,simple answer,as the comments above quite rightly point out,the cause is often food(but of course can be infections,parasites etc).I have found through personal experience,that one of my pair of rabbits tends to have soft poops more often and more readily than her mate,and I've deliberately cut down on the fruit and veg wild greens,to get her to eat more hay and fibre.this has worked to a large extent,and I just have to be careful to get the balance right.With regard to him not letting you clean him,I think there needs to be a change of attitude from you as well as him.I check my rabbits bums every time i bring them into the house,and have got them used to being held with their heads in the crook of my arm and saying 'Checking your bum'.If you think this sounds a bit eccentric(well i am E.nglish so i suppose it's acceptable or expected!) think about it for a moment.they may not understand every word,but they certainly understand the meaning and the intent,and if you do this every single time,it will form an association in his mind that you are about to do a particular thing,and that it isn't the end of the world.Talk calmly to him but be firm,and don't take no for an answer.I have seral wet wipes to hand just in case and then I don't have to try to fumble about getting them out while holding a potentially struggling animal.The important thing is to set your mind to the task and not give in.He will know when you mean it and when you're dithering about,and behave accordingly.If it seems a bit cruel,just think that it's for his own good,and in Summer(if we ever get one),he'll be at risk from Fly Strike,which,trust me,you do not want him to get.Hope this has been of some help and good lo=uck.

This is always a dificult one to answer with a glib,simple answer,as the comments above quite rightly point out,the cause is often food(but of course can be infections,parasites etc).I have found through personal experience,that one of my pair of rabbits tends to have soft poops more often and more readily than her mate,and I've deliberately cut down on the fruit and veg wild greens,to get her to eat more hay and fibre.this has worked to a large extent,and I just have to be careful to get the balance right.With regard to him not letting you clean him,I think there needs to be a change of attitude from you as well as him.I check my rabbits bums every time i bring them into the house,and have got them used to being held with their heads in the crook of my arm and saying 'Checking your bum'.If you think this sounds a bit eccentric(well i am E.nglish so i suppose it's acceptable or expected!) think about it for a moment.they may not understand every word,but they certainly understand the meaning and the intent,and if you do this every single time,it will form an association in his mind that you are about to do a particular thing,and that it isn't the end of the world.Talk calmly to him but be firm,and don't take no for an answer.I have seral wet wipes to hand just in case and then I don't have to try to fumble about getting them out while holding a potentially struggling animal.The important thing is to set your mind to the task and not give in.He will know when you mean it and when you're dithering about,and behave accordingly.If it seems a bit cruel,just think that it's for his own good,and in Summer(if we ever get one),he'll be at risk from Fly Strike,which,trust me,you do not want him to get.Hope this has been of some help and good lo=uck.
Excellent advice I appreciate it. He’s ok now and I do check his bum daily but never touch him unless it’s poo poo. I think because he’s not speyed it’s sensitive touching near there for him. But you are correct I need to be firmer. I always worry if he struggles he may hurt his back etc when he kicks. He’s back to normal now though. Thanks

Latest posts

Back