Sudden Diarrhea, Injection

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mariethomas

Reaction score
Arrived from school today to find Casper hadn't pooped, then had diarrhea. (He doesn't like to poop in his cage, and poops a lot the minute I take him out) Took him out to monitor, and he had a lot more than I ever expected.

He was active, but had and still has, poopy butt which he will not let me clean.

My bun vet is not here today, and is coming tomorrow. The vet who was there instead of him suggested giving his previous medication. But he's a dog vet whom I do not trust, so ignored this suggestion.

Brought him to another vet, she wasn't there.

Brought him to the vet who first gave him a shot to calm him down (my first forum post). She said she was giving him an antibiotic shot to stop the diarrhea. I asked her what it was several times, and she didn't answer. Just said it was a mixture of three things. In the end it was about 1.5 on a small syringe, and a dark yellow. He took his shot like a champ and went in his first car ride. (I walk to all vets...no transportation)

Now I'm home again and he's just hiding out. I'm worried he won't eat or drink again. Today he's had some water and banana.

Should I even try the "rehydrating fluid"?

*Taken from a Yahoo article*
About 4 ounces of clean water in a cup and added a teaspoon of sugar, one eighth a teaspoon of salt and one quarter teaspoon of baking soda. Or, "a mixture of cooked rice and rabbit pellets"

Or would that be too much for him? I don't want to stress him more than he has been today. What do you do for a bun with a lot of diarrhea?

:nurse:

I think some liquids like the rehydrating fluid sounds like a good idea. I would try hard to get him to eat hay, hay going through the gut cleans out the bad gut flora and encourages healthy gut flora.

It's been almost 4 hours and the diarrhea is still present. I would say it's even severe. The only thing we have the list above is Imodium. I split a capsel into 3 pieces. and and giving him a little bit less than what's in one third of it. But, not right now. He was given an antibiotic, something to stop the diarrhea, and something to hydrate him, from what I remember. He will not let me clean his bum, and I understand why. I made him cooked rice and gave him the last of the hay. He ate both, and very few pellets, and drank some water by himself. I'm going to hold off on the Imodium for an hour or so. I don't want to over medicate him. I really hope they start to even get mushy, just less watery.

Does anyone know how much Imodium I should give him? Not sure of the forms it may come in but I think mine is a 2mg capsul. He weighs about 3 pounds.

You should NOT give the Imodium unless the cause of the diarrhea is also being treated. Imodium is just to stop the diarrhea to prevent dehydration, but the root cause of the diarrhea (bacteria or protozoa) needs to be addressed as well or the bacteria/protozoa could be fatal. If he is having profuse watery diarrhea, he needs the proper medication to treat it immediately. This may be difficult for you, I know, but it really is essential. There are three common causes of profuse diarrhea in rabbits- e. coli bacteria, clostridium bacteria, and coccidia protozoa, with the clostridium bacteria being the most severe due to toxins created, so needs to be treated within hours of onset. The best way to determine what is affecting your bun is to have a fecal float test done. If this isn't possible, you may have to treat for all three. Clostridium needs to be treated with the antibiotic metronidazole. Both e. coli and coccidia can be treated with trimethoprim/sulfa. He also need s to be kept hydrated with an electrolyte solution, sub q injections from the vet may be needed as well.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Generalities/Enteritis_en.htm
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Protozoal_diseases/Cocc_en.htm (GRAPHIC PHOTOS)
http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Safe_drugs_main.htm
http://www.medirabbit.com/Unsafe_medication/dangerous_antibiotics.htm

I know you are in a difficult situation, but I would suggest to never allow a vet to inject your rabbit with anything without knowing first what exactly it is. Especially when it is a vet not experienced with rabbits. Some common dog and cat medications can be fatal if given to rabbits. If you can, find out what that vet injected. Your other vet may be able to call that vet to find out if they won't tell you. It's possible if this vet injected a bad antibiotic that it is making matters much worse.

Thanks so much, very informative insight.
As of right now Casper's droppings are finally back to normal (just not completely dry) and he is eating and drinking on his own. I'm going to see if I can get a culture performed tomorrow to see what's really wrong with him.

My regular vet isn't coming back ever, or until Monday. No vets are open tomorrow so I really needed as much help as possible today. I called a vet and he said he didn't want to help me over the phone because it wasn't "ethical", and said he couldn't help. He also asked me where I brought my bun that I didn't bring it to them...I bring every animal I have to this vet and they refused to help me.

Anyway, problem is now, Casper pooped regulary overnight, emptied out his pellet bowl, ate the rice and hay, and drank all the water in his bottle. This morning I got up and refilled everything, he has not ate or drank much. I gave him some grass and some dandelions in the meantime. He's just hiding under the bed, occasionally coming out to lick me. He hasn't pooped today, and if he did it was tiny droppings.

How can I encourage him to poop now? I was just wondering if I should even try the store bought pineapple juice. He's gone in the literbox but has not pooped.I was going to ask to get a test on his droppings done, but since he hasn't had any new ones, I can't.

I just went back to the vet who gave him the injection, yesterday she told me to bring him back Monday.
Now she said there's nothing she can give him, and that he isn't going because his stomach is empty. Which makes sense since he hasn't ate as much as usual. She gave me a small bag of baking soda, and said to mix it with "aqua de manzanilla" aka "camomile"? I looked up the herb and it's safe for rabbits, but we don't have the physical herb. We have it in a tea form, is that still okay? She said to mix the Camomile water with the baking soda? But I read baking soda isn't okay for rabbits. What do you guys think? Should I give him the water alone?

I'm not sure. I've never heard of that recipe your vet gave you (chamomile and baking soda) so not sure. Homemade Electrolyte recipes often have baking soda in them - but its only a small amount.
I think I would be more inclined to give watered down pedialyte to add fluids.

Latest posts

Back