Sudden death

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sue2475

Reaction score
Hi guys my Jasper was 16 MTHS old very healthy and happy he indoor rabbit and outdoors in the sunny days he loved the grandchildren would jump on sofa to cuddle up to them if watching a film etc no signs any illness what so ever but sadly he has passed I'm devastated he had what looked like a small stick from a rose bush or blackberry bush in his mouth I don't understand were could off come from but was laying across his mouth PLEASE DONT LOOK PHOTO IF WILL BE UPSET BUT CAN SEE IT PLEASE NOTE WAS IN HIS MOUTH LONG WAYS NOT STUCK I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND XXX

Hi guys my Jasper was 16 MTHS old very healthy and happy he indoor rabbit and outdoors in the sunny days he loved the grandchildren would jump on sofa to cuddle up to them if watching a film etc no signs any illness what so ever but sadly he has passed I'm devastated he had what looked like a small stick from a rose bush or blackberry bush in his mouth I don't understand were could off come from but was laying across his mouth PLEASE DONT LOOK PHOTO IF WILL BE UPSET BUT CAN SEE IT PLEASE NOTE WAS IN HIS MOUTH LONG WAYS NOT STUCK I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND XXX

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210511-003630.png
    Screenshot_20210511-003630.png
    684.2 KB · Views: 28
Hi, sorry about your loss. The stick can be related or can have no relation to his death, it can be just he had it in his mouth or it could be it was some poisonous plant or was treated with chemicals or something. Only guessing here.
You say he was 16 weeks old and this grate looking much older, was he your only rabbit or you have more rabbits, or you got it secondhand, do you know who lived there before and if there was any case of ill tenant to it. Also it looks like an outdoor hutch and you said he goes outside too, was he vaccinated, how long ago if so?

Thats so sad, so sorry for your loss..

Look for any cuts, maybe the living space? he could have ate something in the cage. Im so sorry for your loss. Is the cage outdoors? could have had a heart attack, or froze, I know the uk is cold

Look for any cuts, maybe the living space? he could have ate something in the cage. Im so sorry for your loss. Is the cage outdoors? could have had a heart attack, or froze, I know the uk is cold
Hi thank you for your reply he had know cuts nothing looked different or odd apart from the stick in his mouth we have know idea were it even came from it's a mystery he indoors at night has a cage outside but not shut in unless I'm not at home I think choked and hopefully was quick xx

Hi, sorry about your loss. The stick can be related or can have no relation to his death, it can be just he had it in his mouth or it could be it was some poisonous plant or was treated with chemicals or something. Only guessing here.
You say he was 16 weeks old and this grate looking much older, was he your only rabbit or you have more rabbits, or you got it secondhand, do you know who lived there before and if there was any case of ill tenant to it. Also it looks like an outdoor hutch and you said he goes outside too, was he vaccinated, how long ago if so?
Hi he was 16 MTHS old cage was new he only used it on warm days he mainly lived indoors but would go out and lay in the sun only under my watchful eye he was happy an hour before his death I'm so confused about this stick only can think a bird maybe dropped it x

Hi he was 16 MTHS old cage was new he only used it on warm days he mainly lived indoors but would go out and lay in the sun only under my watchful eye he was happy an hour before his death I'm so confused about this stick only can think a bird maybe dropped it x
If he wasn't vaccinated it could be a virus, here's some info for you it could be RVHD since no symptoms and sudden death, if you wish to find out you can contact your vet clinic about necropsy so they will be able to determine the cause of death.

Again, very sorry about your rabbit

>>
What RVHD does
RVHD1 is a swift and efficient killer – almost all unvaccinated rabbits who catch RVHD1 die within a day or two. The virus causes massive internal bleeding. Some rabbits bleed from the nose and back passage before death, others die so quickly there may be no outward sign of disease at all. Owners often think their rabbit has died of “fright”, a heart attack” or (in summer) “heatstroke”. Most cases are never diagnosed: RVHD is often only suspected when several rabbits die in quick succession and post-mortem examination is needed to diagnose the illness.

Viral Haemorrhagic Disease (RVHD)

He was up to date on vaccinations I honestly believe he had a beautiful happy life I guess just one off them things I will never get another one xx

He was up to date on vaccinations I honestly believe he had a beautiful happy life I guess just one off them things I will never get another one xx
He was 4 months old, when was he vaccinated and what vaccines? There are vaccines for Myxomatosis and vaccines for RVHD 1 and RVHD2, they need two shots and repeat after 14 days, was he vaccinated from all three and when? That's only what I can think if, or maybe poisoning or hearth stroke or something.

He only had myxomatosis I have no idea what RVHD is thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it

He only had myxomatosis I have no idea what RVHD is thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it
That's what I posted a few comments earlier, see there a link attached to RWAF site with full explanation
If he wasn't vaccinated it could be a virus, here's some info for you it could be RVHD since no symptoms and sudden death, if you wish to find out you can contact your vet clinic about necropsy so they will be able to determine the cause of death.

Again, very sorry about your rabbit

>>
What RVHD does
RVHD1 is a swift and efficient killer – almost all unvaccinated rabbits who catch RVHD1 die within a day or two. The virus causes massive internal bleeding. Some rabbits bleed from the nose and back passage before death, others die so quickly there may be no outward sign of disease at all. Owners often think their rabbit has died of “fright”, a heart attack” or (in summer) “heatstroke”. Most cases are never diagnosed: RVHD is often only suspected when several rabbits die in quick succession and post-mortem examination is needed to diagnose the illness.

Viral Haemorrhagic Disease (RVHD)

I'm so so sorry for your loss. You gave him a wonderful life and a wonderful home. It is devastating to feel that we failed to protect a creature in our care, but you did your very, very best. Rabbits can live a long time but there are also risks that we can't control. Where I live vaccines for RVHD aren't available, and it's also possible that the twig was dropped by a bird or brought in by some other animal. No matter what, your bunny was very lucky to have you as his family.

I wouldn't leave a bunny outdoors alone even in a cage or protected area bunnies can die of heart attack by seeing predators or go in shock even if they hear them. So sorry for ur loss. This has happened to me in the past too I woke up to find my poor bugz dead over night.

Last edited:
So sad! 😭😭😭

Latest posts

Back