Sudden death

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apollo’s Slave

Reaction score
i feel sick to my stomach to have to post this.
My rabbit Athena, who I got last September, passed away sometime in the last 4 and a half hours. And I have no idea why she died. We are taking her to the vet in the morning. But I just don’t know what to do.
I made sure she was eating last night (I checked when I went to bed at 11pm), and she was. I found her in her hay box - when she’d passed, and she had hay in her mouth. She was vaccinated, and spayed. So I’m just so confused.
and I don’t know what to do about Apollo, as I know all the rabbit websites say it’s good to try and get another rabbit but I just don’t think I can. I’ve had three rabbits die in the past two years, and it makes me feel sick, but the first two times I know what happened. This time, it feels like a nightmare that I’ll just wake up from. I don’t know if anyone can help, I just feel sick, I don’t know what to do.

I'm so sorry for your loss 😢 the fact that she had food in her mouth makes me think that she choked? I read that it is possible. And that you can see if a rabbit has choked when their gums have turned blue from lack of oxygen. (Don't have personal experience, its just something i read on some forum).

How horrible! Whatever the cause, it was obviously sudden and nothing you could have done to prevent it. It just sounds like a tragic accident. If you aren't ready to get Apollo a friend, that is very understandable, even if you're never ready to. If he adjusts to her being gone ok, and he gets plenty of attention and interaction with you, lone rabbits can do just fine. Especially right now, he may need a lot of attention and head rubs if he seems to be missing her. I know right now it's hard, and I'm very sorry for both you and Apollo.

I am so so sorry for your loss! You take such good care of your rabbits and Athena had such a wonderful life with you. She was so lucky to have the person she did. I think we all often forget that luck is not always on our side.

I don't have any desire to needlessly speculate, but I've seen a similar story play out in rabbits and other animals caused by a congenital heart defect. There is often no chance of detection until the worst happens.

Whatever did happen, I'm just so sorry it had to happen to you and Athena.

She could’ve had megacolon.
I’d noticed when her got her that her poops weren’t normal golden brown, but more like long, sometimes multiples, oblong. I had mentioned it to the vet when she had her checkup in November, but they didn’t think she had it. I eventually thought that they were normal for her, after months of having her. But it would explain her weight loss?

Last edited:
OMG, I am so terribly sorry. I remember encouraging you to adopt from RRR and I was so happy it worked out. Have you let them know? Without an autopsy (or often even with one) it's impossible to know what happened. I doubt it was megacolon though. What was the cause of death of your other three bunnies? Such awful news. I totally understand you feel sick, I would be the same. You don't have to decide or do anything right now, just take good care of Apollo and yourself. Give it a couple of weeks and see how he is and maybe by then if you think he is lonely you may be ready to try again? Big hug. x

Reactions: Fuz
The first one was just general bad care, he was my first ever rabbit - and I had listened to P@H for most of my information. I think he died from the cold or maybe being scared. He was an outdoor rabbit. After that was another P@H, who passed from GI Stasis not 24 hours after bringing him home. He was an indoor rabbit, that time. The two of them passed in November 2019.
After the two of them, I did as much research as I could. Then I got Apollo (who is fine). Then Athena being the third who has passed.

I just dropped Athena at the vet and he said there wasn't an obvious cause of her death, but that it happens often with rabbits. I decided not to get a post mortem thing. Apollo seems okay, he's acting normally.

I am so sorry. Take as much time as you need before getting another rabbit. I have had accidental litters in the past and not a single rabbit in the litters had lived so all 11 of them died and I feel so bad because I didn’t have the best rabbit care back then and they were outdoors so I felt horrible. I understand that you’re very upset. Maybe spend some time reading a book with Apollo or watching something with him. Something to get both your mind off the death of Athena. Getting Athena was something I was so happy for you about and I’m just so sorry she had to go.

Sad news to read you have provided lots of love snd care for your rabbits so don’t feel you failed them. I would give Apollo lots of extra cuddles and love. Is he outside? If he is bring him indoors.

Latest posts

Back