Sudden Bunny Death

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hailey

Reaction score
hi!
We recently adopted a few bunnies:
Skorbit, Jack, Oreo, and Noir.
We recently went in to check on them and jack was dead inside the wooden hidey home we provided them. We’re not sure what went wrong...
They are kept inside an extra large dog crate with lots of room for them to hop around and dig in the shavings. They are inside our insulated garage that doesn’t get below 0*C. So I didn’t think that the cold would be a problem, and were purchasing a heat lamp just in case!

They have lots of water, hay, and pellets with unlimited access to all 3. As well as a wooden nesting box converted into a small house that fits 2-3 of them.

There is no way that they fought because Jack (the one who died) was the dominant one and skor bit and noir are super submissive and a lot smaller.

We had them with a few friends and jack looked a little scared with his ears down so we immediately took him away and put him in his home, that was a week ago.

He was cold and stiff with his ears still pointed up and wasn’t limp at all. He wasn’t bleeding or hurt what so ever and we’re unsure what happened...

We got him from another family, not a pet store but he didn’t look old and was still very active and playful until today.

It was very sudden and we don’t know what went wrong... the rest of the bunnies are fine so they aren’t sick.

Is there any idea to what could have happened? Was it the cold, or that he got scared but it took a week?

We want to make sure the rest of our bunnies are safe as this is heartbreaking...

First, what kind are they, and how old? The cage may be big, but is still small. My rabbit lived in my garage when he was a baby, in a dog crate too but it was just him. I don't think that Jack got cold because they could huddle up, even though when you found him he was cold. That was just from laying out dead :(. They all need to get spayed/neutered, or you will have baby bunnies before you know it. Even if they are all boys or all girls, they will fight if not spayed/neutered. Are they all siblings? He probably was sick and you just didn't know, or if you have a dog the barking could of scared him. You should take the siblings to the vet to see if anything is wrong with them since Jack died. Check the link below about sudden death in rabbits.
https://pethelpful.com/rabbits/What-Are-The-Causes-Of-Sudden-Death-In-Rabbits
I'm so sorry for your loss! :(

They are all boys and we have 4 seperate cages for them if they do start to fight, we have Oreo, the only dominant one at the moment separated! Jack was a purebred Rex, skorbit is a mini lop (who only gets supervised playtime with the others because he’s so small!), and then noir and Oreo are New Zealand crosses. We also play with them constantly and the crate is big for a Great Dane, although no worries! We’re in the process of building a rabbit run inside the garage. There are 2 dogs but they are kept away from the garage, it isn’t attached to the house. So I wouldn’t know anything that could have scared him. All of the rabbits are under a year old but we didn’t know Jacks age because we weren’t told seeing we didn’t get him from a pet store, just Kijiji. We also have a plastic pool with shavings and hay down that we let them run and play every day. As well as a harness for outside in the spring and fall when it’s not too hot or cold. Here is a picture of skor bit to make this feed a little happier!

Attachments

• 45F2E5FC-3AC7-4D80-82C8-B5B0CF2B6F78.jpeg
    45F2E5FC-3AC7-4D80-82C8-B5B0CF2B6F78.jpeg
    87 KB · Views: 12
I have never heard of any kind of shavings that are safe for bunnies. Dust is a big problem for their respiratory systems. Look into safe bedding for bunnies and see if you think that could have been a contributing factor. Sorry for your loss <3

hi!
We recently adopted a few bunnies:
Skorbit, Jack, Oreo, and Noir.
We recently went in to check on them and jack was dead inside the wooden hidey home we provided them. We’re not sure what went wrong...
They are kept inside an extra large dog crate with lots of room for them to hop around and dig in the shavings. They are inside our insulated garage that doesn’t get below 0*C. So I didn’t think that the cold would be a problem, and were purchasing a heat lamp just in case!

They have lots of water, hay, and pellets with unlimited access to all 3. As well as a wooden nesting box converted into a small house that fits 2-3 of them.

There is no way that they fought because Jack (the one who died) was the dominant one and skor bit and noir are super submissive and a lot smaller.

We had them with a few friends and jack looked a little scared with his ears down so we immediately took him away and put him in his home, that was a week ago.

He was cold and stiff with his ears still pointed up and wasn’t limp at all. He wasn’t bleeding or hurt what so ever and we’re unsure what happened...

We got him from another family, not a pet store but he didn’t look old and was still very active and playful until today.

It was very sudden and we don’t know what went wrong... the rest of the bunnies are fine so they aren’t sick.

Is there any idea to what could have happened? Was it the cold, or that he got scared but it took a week?

We want to make sure the rest of our bunnies are safe as this is heartbreaking...
Bunnies have to be watched carefully that they are all eating. A bunny can pass within 24 hours of not eating and there can be several causes such as bloat, EC and other digestive issues.

Are you certain the rabbit is dead? I've heard of rabbits being cold and needing to be warmed up or even having neurological conditions where they seem dead but then spring back to life again after an hour or a few hours (sometimes even multiple times/day). If possible, I would try and warm up the rabbit and watch it for a long while to see if it was just cold or has any health issues. I've heard of using hair dryers to warm baby rabbits, but I would be very careful doing so as hair dryers can get hot!

Did the family who you got him from also keep them in the same temperature? Because bunnies can react really badly to heavy temperature changes. When putting an inside rabbit outside or even in 0-10 degrees C, they can go into shock and they can die from hypothermia in a couple of hours :/
I don't have any other ideas why this could have happened sorry..

Sadly RVHD2 has crossed the Atlantic and has been identified both in Canada and the USA. It causes sudden death, usually with no symptoms. Canada has imported vaccine from France, Filavac. As far as I know, the US hasn't yet done so.

Information can be found on our website in these three locations, including biosecurity advice for the protection of your other rabbits. It was written for the UK but should be useful to all rabbit owners across the Pond, except that some of the vaccines we have ready access to in the UK and Europe won't be available in the Americas.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/rabbit-vhd/
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/vaccinations/
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/further-reading/rvhd-further-reading/

I do hope this isn't RVHD2 but a previously healthy rabbit showing no symptoms of illness but suddenly dying sounds highly suspicious. Please therefore take the biosecurity advice in the final link very seriously for the sake of your surviving rabbits

Latest posts

Back