Sudden aversion to litter pans...?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Our young Holland Lop has suddenly developed an apparent aversion to her Litter pans. When we first introduced a corner pan into her cage, she caught on almost instantly and we were very happy. Now that she's a little older and less inclined to just spend time cuddling with us on the couch, we've set up a larger pan in her favorite bathroom spot in the living room.

The first thing she did after inspecting it was hop in and go to the bathroom. As far as we can tell, that was the only time. She'll poop and pee next to it, in front of it, and sometimes go so far as to move it away from the wall so she can do her business behind it. At first I figured it was just something she would eventually get the hang of, and proceeded to pick up her feces and place them in the pan.

But for the past two days now, she's been grunting at the large pan in the living room, and doing her best to flip the one that's stationed in the corner of her cage. She's also started going to the bathroom next to her food bowl in the cage...Ignoring the corner pan completely.

Suggestions?

What sort of litter are you using? has that changed?
Have you checked to make sure her feet aren't sore?

Her feet don't seem to be troubling her, and the litter has not changed.

I think she's around six months old. When does puberty generally strike?

She's not spayed. I approached my vet, and he said he just wasn't comfortable doing it. We're moving to WA in a couple of months, so hopefully we can find a good bun vet there.

Uh yup. Puberty = six months or so. She'll turn into a little furry Frankenstein. It could last for a couple of months (or at least until shortly after she's spayed) but hang tough, she WILL go back to being her cute little cuddly self.

Puberty is why so many rabbits that age end up being 'set free' (aka stocking the coyote buffet) or stuck in shelters.

Patience my son. Patience. :twitch:

sas :bunnydance:

HAHA! Yep, It's definitely hormones! Bo used to hop on me and then pee on me at any given chance!

Latest posts

Back