Success! (trimming nails)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jurisfiction

Reaction score
I finally got up the courage to trim Marlowe’s nails myself! I watched several videos- one was iffy since all the others said not to put the rabbit on its back since that’s not really as calming as it looks. Marlowe was not happy with me but accepted the strawberry top after a bit anyway.

Can you share details as to how you did it?

I really need to try this again -- my vet charges over $60 for two nail trims now, and no more free trim during annual exams :(
I think there was a video I first saw on this forum. The rabbit seemed so calm that I had to find other videos that showed how to handle an ornery squirmy rabbit with no fear of anything or anyone. One showed the chase as well, but I didn't need to chase mine. I have a policy of no chasing anyway.

So I imitated the ones that wrapped the rabbit up in a towel (bunny burrito) and/or kept their eyes covered, too. First I had tried trimming on the front paws while I was on the floor, which was okay. But for the back paws- and second session an hour after the first one- I tried it with Marlowe on a table like most of the videos suggested, with the towel around him like a bunny burrito and his eyes covered. He squirmed once, but I held him gently but firmly to me. And after that, it was amazingly easy.

Yeah, my vet went from a $20 nail trim to almost $40. Since I'm not working at the moment, I can't afford any of that!

Can you share details as to how you did it?

I really need to try this again -- my vet charges over $60 for two nail trims now, and no more free trim during annual exams :(
Another way to clip a bunny's nails is to do it on the floor while the bunny is eating. I e.g. clip my bunny's nails while he eats his pellets and if he jumps away (which he did a lot in the beginning) then I just simply remove the bowl for second or two. This way takes some practice though and I started practicing pretend clipping his nails and getting him used to me touching his feet almost immediately when I got him (which is almost 3 years ago now). At first it took me 2-3 days to clip all his nails compared to now where I'll clip all his nails within 5 minutes.

Would someone show a photo of how they cover their rabbit's eyes please? Thanks!

Latest posts

Back