Stretching or belly pressing?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThumperTheBunny

Reaction score
Ok, thumper likes to stretch out a lot lately. He like presses his belly to the ground, then gets back up. I’m worried it may be gi-stasis because my dog came into my room and started barking really loud. Thumper ran under the bed and didn’t come out for 5 hours. He hasn’t been eating much or drinking, and he sits loafed up. He chatters his teeth loudly. Should I take him to the vet? Help!

I'm guessing he has been to the vet by now? I hope he is doing okay!
I took him to the vet. It was stasis😭😭 they gave us some medicine for him and I’m hoping that will help. He ate a tiny piece of hay, and drank some water. He pooped like 3-4 times. He doesn’t seem to be doing much better😭 thank you @HalaBuns, @Madelyn L., @ArtistChibi and @Mariam+Theo for your support. I hope everything goes well.

Poor bunny! I'm glad y'all were able to take him to the vet in time. Did the vet give you Metacam and Critical Care? Are you force-feeding him?
I would remove his pellets and only offer him hay and leafy greens (only greens that he has had before) until he is doing better. Do you have any infant gas drops? If he starts pressing his tummy to the ground, tooth grinding, not moving around much, etc. you can give him 1-2 ml doses of gas drops every hour for 3 hours. If by the second dose he is not doing better, you should call your vet.

Awww poor bun! Well done you for getting him to the vet in time.

Agree with @Mariam+Theo and also try gently massaging his tummy if he’ll let you. It will help to relieve any gas pain which will help him eat and hopefully he’ll find it relaxing too.

He won’t be feeling himself for at least the next week or so, so try to keep your room nice and quiet, not too many people coming in and out etc. When my bun had stasis recently, keeping her stress to a minimum was important during her recovery.

Sorry you’re both going through this! Hope he feels a bit better today.

Another thing that really helped to get my bun eating again were these:

https://www.kaytee.com/all-products/small-animal/hay/timothy-hay/kaytee-timothy-cubes
Obviously will depend on whether he likes them or not, but my buns love these as much as banana, so when I was trying to get her eating, she would go for these before any herbs, veggies, hay or even pellets.

They don’t have the same nutritional benefits of proper hay and I only use as a treat, but they are enough to get things going and once she started on these, I knew she would move on to other food.

Another thing that really helped to get my bun eating again were these:

https://www.kaytee.com/all-products/small-animal/hay/timothy-hay/kaytee-timothy-cubes
Obviously will depend on whether he likes them or not, but my buns love these as much as banana, so when I was trying to get her eating, she would go for these before any herbs, veggies, hay or even pellets.

They don’t have the same nutritional benefits of proper hay and I only use as a treat, but they are enough to get things going and once she started on these, I knew she would move on to other food.
Thank you for this!

[QUOTE="Mariam+Theo, post: 1169453, member: 24999"
Do you have any infant gas drops? If he starts pressing his tummy to the ground, tooth grinding, not moving around much, etc. you can give him 1-2 ml doses of gas drops every hour for 3 hours. If by the second dose he is not doing better, you should call your vet.
[/QUOTE]
I’ve massaged his stomach, and he seems to be doing better. He is eating better Now abs moving around more.

Latest posts

Back