Stretching of the Neck?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
Clarification: I meant to title this thread "Stretching of the Neck." ;)

At times, I've noticedEmmamomentarilysitting upright with her head hanging downward. One moment, she'slying down, then sitsupright (like she's thinking about producing cecals) and hangs her head at a downward angle.

She keeps her mouth closed when she does this, so it's not a yawn. And she's not stretching any other part of her body at this time. In fact, it doesn't really look like a neck stretch, so much as a neck hang.

Has anyone else caught their bun(ners) doing this?And do you know why a bun might appear to stretch its neck downward (besides, well, stretching its neck)?

Thank you,

Jenk

Hi jenk
Sorry that no one responded. Sounds like she is hanging her head but without a pic I really don't have an answer.
a rabbitwould stretchhis/her necks if they were trying to get more air but it wouldn't be what you described.

angieluv wrote:
Hi jenk
Sorry that no one responded. Sounds like she is hanging her head but without a pic I really don't have an answer.
a rabbitwould stretchhis/her necks if they were trying to get more air but it wouldn't be what you described.
I don't see her do this everyday, but it's odd whenever I do see it.

In this particular pic, she looks rather morose--but that's not always the case. Oftentimes, right after hanging her head for several seconds,she eats cecals. Still, I find this general head-hanging pose very odd....

IMG_5141.jpg

Jenk wrote:

In this particular pic, she looks rather morose--but that's not always the case. Oftentimes, right after hanging her head for several seconds,she eats cecals. Still, I find this general head-hanging pose very odd....

IMG_5141.jpg

This is a normal posture associated with eating cecals. It's generally done during evenings or when the rabbit is relaxing.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
This is a normal posture associated with eating cecals. It's generally done during evenings or when the rabbit is relaxing.
I'm used to seeing both Emma and Zoe sit stock-still for a few moments (even upwards of a minute) just before eating cecals. But it was only recently that I've noticed Emma hanging her head like this. It's like she stretches it downward and then just holds it there. (This last time, she did so for almost a minute, I think.)

So this particular position is really normal? Again, I'm just used to seeing the dead-eye stare/sitting-still pose just before eating "gummies" (cecals). This neck-hang pose is rather new to me, and I've been (overly) observing my girls for the past five months. ;)

I just saw this and think that it is really really cute.. She is either producing cecals or having very deep thoughts.
It is either

Emma producing cecals

or
Emma tryingto solve the question of how the universe began...................:D

pamnock wrote:

Jenk wrote:

IMG_5141.jpg

Pam

angieluv wrote:
I just saw this and think that it is really really cute.. She is either producing cecals or having very deep thoughts.
It is either

Emma producing cecals

or
Emma tryingto solve the question of how the universe began...................:D
I would've really appreciated it if Emma had told me that a few weeks ago. LOL

I'd had myself convinced that a rabbit only gives the "dead-ahead stare" when producing cecals. So when I started seeing her hang her head in this "woe-is-me" pose, I thought that something was amiss. Of course, I was WAY off the mark. In the end, it turns out that she's really having deep thoughts. ;)

Latest posts

Back