Stress of a move or pain from a nail falling off

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaymas

Reaction score
So we just moved and took the levels out of our cage to make it easier to move. We decided not to put the levels back until we had time to clean them and make sure they are stable.

Well Nero didn't like this and he felt the fabric on the level that we left hanging in the cage so he decided to try and jump on it but pretty much ended up doing a backflip. This was Saturday afternoon. Yesterday he ate in the morning normally and seemed to be moving around. Yesterday evening he stopped moving around as much and didn't eat lettuce, but did eat some pellets.

This morning he didn't eat again so I went to pick him up and give him some critical care. When I put him back down he flicked his paws and one of his nails came right off. We think maybe it was from the backflip on saturday and he broke his nail maybe.

Anyway, I cleaned the area with a damp cloth and it looked like it stopped bleeding. I put some polysporin on it to try and prevent infection. He's still acting off though.

We haven't tried feeding him again yet so we don't know if he'll eat, but should we consider taking him to the vet to get it looked at? Should we wait a few days?

If he isn't eating go to the vet rabbits have fast metabolisms and can go down hill very quickly

I agree, if he hasn't been eating for a while, I'd recommend a vet visit. Even if all he needs is a painkiller from a slight injury, it will help get him on the road to eating again. Better to be safe than sorry in my opinion.

We did end up going to the emergency vet just because we know how quickly things can go downhill. The vet said his tummy felt fine and it was probably just the pain from the injury and the stress of moving. She cleaned up the wound a bit and put some stuff on it to help it heal. He still isn't fully eating but he was nibbling on some lettuce. We're going to watch him and give him critical care to get some nutrients in him.

Latest posts

Back