Straw for bedding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmi

Reaction score
Just one quick question. Is straw ok to use in a potty box for my buns. I ran out of the pelleted bedding I use.

Yes straw is safe for bunnies, but as it is lower in nutrition content, make sure you provide hay too!!

Yes straw is safe for bunnies, but as it is lower in nutrition content, make sure you provide hay too!!
Ok thanks! They have hay as well. Just wanted to know about the straw.

If you're using it as litter, it won't be terribly absorbent or control the odor well, but it is ok to use. The only thing to watch for and be careful with, is if they start trying to eat too much of the straw, instead of eating their normal hay and pellets.

Straw is mostly indigestible fiber and doesn't contain much in the way of nutrients. A rabbit that is eating too much straw and not enough of their other nutrient rich foods, can start to lose weight and develop other health issues like nutrient deficiencies, fatty liver disease, or an impacted cecum. So do keep a close eye to make sure your rabbits continue eating hay and pellets normally.

Latest posts

Back