Straw bedding ok for rabbits to ingest?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoneyBunnys34

Reaction score
I buy straw bedding for my rabbits and notice they have been eating alot of it. I do t know if this is ok for them to eat. I also feed them Timothy hay though. Is this straw stuff ok for them to eat? Any help would be nice, because I dont know if this could potentially be upsetting to their stomach.

Yes, my parents wont allow me to keep them in doors because of our dogs. They would just eat them.

Eating straw is usually ok as long as the straw isn't moldy and as long as they don't eat too much of it. To make sure they aren't eating too much, you would need to keep a close eye on their weight and body condition, and the amount of hay and pellets they are eating. You want your rabbits to maintain a healthy body weight.

Straw is pretty much devoid of nutrients(it's mostly fiber)j, so if they are eating too much straw and not enough of their higher nutrient foods(pellets, grass hay, veggies) and start to get too skinny because they aren't getting enough protein and the right nutrients, this wouldn't be good. So as long as they stay at a healthy weight and maintain this weight, eating the straw shouldn't be a problem. If they start to lose weight, the straw would need to be replaced with something else like grass hay or non edible rabbit safe bedding, so they will start eating their hay again. Increasing pellet rations might be an option as well(provided they eat the extra pellets), to balance out the increased consumption of straw and help increase their protein and nutrient consumption.

Yes, my parents wont allow me to keep them in doors because of our dogs. They would just eat them.

I was worried about that too for a moment when I brought that foster dog home, but my buck prefers vegan stuff.:D
SCNR;)

gina-und-herr-hase2-jpg.19720

View media item 9588 I tell my cavashonoodle (Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Bishon, Poodle mix) that rabbits are vegans but this is about as close as she will let them get before she runs and hides.

(But seriously, good call. Never leave animals alone and unprotected (run, cages, etc.)until you are SURE (and then maybe only for a second. Some breeds were bred to chase rabbits. Others young untrained dogs might busy themselves trying to break into an enclosure. My dog loves to chase but rapidly gets bored if something doesn't run, and my rabbits will jump in the air and do a ninja kick before considering running.

I buy straw bedding for my rabbits and notice they have been eating alot of it. I do t know if this is ok for them to eat. I also feed them Timothy hay though. Is this straw stuff ok for them to eat? Any help would be nice, because I dont know if this could potentially be upsetting to their stomach.
dear honeybunnys34,-if possible replace the straw with timothy{high in fiber},and use a grass bin for 24x7 access..straw,hay {yellow stuff}-is just another fiber which willnot pose a problem,watch the poops.,and you are correct about the dogs,but there always exceptions to the rule,but why run the risk..sincerely james waller

Latest posts

Back