Strange noises and movements

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My bunny (9 weeks) has been making some strange almost cough-like noises. She's also been opening and closing her mouth, including when she sleeps. Do I need to take her to the vet?

Mouth breathing from rabbits can be an indication of a serious problem. It could just be that hay or something is stuck in and irritating the mouth, or there could be a partial obstruction of the throat from a foreign body. Critical respiratory infections can also result in mouth breathing occurring. So yes, this could be an emergency, and getting to the vet immediately would be recommended.
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Update: not good
We took her to the vet and he said her stomach was really gassy, she has an infection, and she's severely underweight.
We've been letting her settle in this past week, which is why we didn't notice how skinny she was. She's staying overnight in the vet, and tommorow if she responds, we'll keep at it, if not, we have to put her down
Thanks for everyone's help

Update: not good
We took her to the vet and he said her stomach was really gassy, she has an infection, and she's severely underweight.
We've been letting her settle in this past week, which is why we didn't notice how skinny she was. She's staying overnight in the vet, and tommorow if she responds, we'll keep at it, if not, we have to put her down
Thanks for everyone's help
Oh no! I will be praying for her! I hope she gets better!
Yes , i'm praying for her too!
Good luck little bun! :D:p

Update update: she was able to come home last night and we thought she was doing better. I came home from school today and she passed away

I'm so sorry! This is so sad! I will keep you in my prayers as you cope with this loss.

Latest posts

Back