strange bunny behavior.... can you help me?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amberbunny

Reaction score
Hi!:)

I was just wondering ifanybody could help me out here.... about 3 years ago (or so)i got a bunny at the fair. I named her amber (hence my username:p) andi love her very much. I remember holding her and rocking her like ababy and being able to pick her up. it was so cute. Amber is a veryspoiled bunny too. She has a very good life... she gets fresh water andfood and carrots and even has a little pen outside for in thesummertime for exersise. :DBut anyways.. i always loved to beable to hold her and now she wont let me!! If u try picking her up shesquirms like a bug and digs her claws until she is back on the groundagain. sometimes she attacks you even when she IS on the ground. Withher feet, she will attack ur hand and scratch the daylights out of it.I used to be able to put a harness on her for walks but she wont let meeither because im reaching under her belly to latch it. I dont know whyall of a sudden she doesnt want to be held or played with like thatanymore. it makes me sad :? I want to know how i can maybechange this, i probably cant do anything, but i would like to hear whatothers have to say... CAN YOU HELP ME PLEASE????thankyou.

I would say that it sounds like the "teenagehormones", but since you said you had her for around 3 years, thatwouldn't be the case..

Sorry I cannot help you, hopefully somone a little more knowledgable on rabbit behavior than me can help you out.

~Nichole

hello amber, and welcome

is your rabbit spayed ?? if not you may want to consider it alot ofrabbits calm down alot after have the procedure. my rabbit lyla isgoing in monday. also rabbits have moods they go through maybe shesjust being cranky. Most rabbits dont like to be held since they areanimals of prey they feel insecure off the ground like an owl isswooping them up, has anything tramatic happend??? im not the mostknowallgable but i would just give her some time and just sit with herand let her run around and let her come to you maybe learn to trust youagain:)

hope this helps sara

I'm sorry that I can't anwser your question. I've only had my first bunny for a little less than a month.

Welcome to the forum though!! :)

Hmmm, my bunny is going through the same kindathing. Although, he's only about6 months old... :D Neverwants to be held anymore, like he did when he was a baby. I can'treally help, but I hope everything works out for you! Good luck :D

~Mel

Like Sara says if anything traumatic happens to arabbit they cas lose trust in you.Perhaps if they have beendropped or fallen from a height. I had a friend whose rabbitshad a run with their hutch inside the run. The hutch was onstilts and was about3 feet from the floor but myfriend put a ramp up so the rabbits could climb up and sit on top ofthe hutch which they liked to do. One day the rabbits weresat up there and a plane flew over, the male rabbit,Tipsybolted in fear at the noise and flew off the top of thehutch.He wasn't hurt but very shocked at such afall. From that day on he hated being picked up and wouldsquirm away from my friend as it had shocked him so badly. Isuppose thats a little off subject but the fact that your rabbit hasseemed to change personalities reminded me of Tipsy's situation.

Rebecca

My rabbit was about 3 years old when I had herfixed. Before I did that she was never a very sociable bunny, butafterwards she calmed down. She didn't care for other people outside myimmediate family even after the surgury, but it was like having acompletely different pet. The only slight downside is thatafter I had Phantom fixed, she lost some of that spunky attitude Iloved. ..but I am counting the days till I can have my new mischeivoushooligan done.

Welcome to the forum, amberbunny,

Any chance that the little one was hurt or bruised? Have youfelt for any lumps, cuts, sensitive spots, etc.? How's herhealth in general? Is she maintaining herweight,eating and pooping normal, etc.? Have youmade any changes to her environment?

On a side note, it's very hard for some of usto read coloredfonts. Would you mind keeping it on a black color font sothat us older folk don't have to strain our eyes? Manythanks. :)

-Carolyn

That is a bitstrange. I'd look for the things that Carolyn said to lookfor. Once you rule out any injury or illness, then I guessit's just an attitude problem. How long has she been doingthis? Once in a while, at certain times of the year, my bunnywill act up, but it only lasts for a week or two. But ifshe's never done something like this before, then I would rule thatout.

Good luck.

--Melissa and Umbra

My bets are on something traumatic, or aninjury. Even if she hurt herself when you were not there, she wouldknow she hurts and not want you to touch the painfularea.Rather or not she is altered, a sudden change inattitude at 3 years of age is suspicious. one of my buns who suddenlychanged personalties, did so after hurting herself. Prior she has beena kissing fool.
Despite the fact she doesn't want you to touch, do check her over.Ask someone or a couple of someones to help you if need be. Feel hertummy (scary sad though, but she could have something inside botheringher like a tumor) watch her hop, does she hop different, poss. leginjury are there are lumps bumps or cuts like Carolyn mentioned?
Is she somewhere where she could get spooked? Any strange peoplearound recently. Had a fall of any kind? There are a number of ways abun could get hurt, try going over everything you can think of, as wellas giving her a good feel over. and if you have a good bunny vet in hearea, it might not be such a bad idea to get her a check up. There arethings a vet might be able to find you cannot. Best wishes

Sometime rabbits can think of being held likebeing in a pertators mouth (very scary) and a good way toteach her theres nothing worng with being picked up is quikepickups. Pick her up put her down she'll learn to appreciatebeing picked up again. Just pick her up whenever you wouldwant to then put her on your bed perhaps and let her know how brave sheis;)

Peter

Latest posts

Back