Strange Behaviour

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugzzee

Reaction score
Hi

I am proud to say that I am the proud owner of 2 beautiful 8 week old Lionhead rabbits, they are sisters. I got them from my local pet shop on Monday, that have settled in well.
One strange thing happened tonight though. When I got home I checked on therabbits and one of the rabbits was acting strangely. She toppled over and couldnt get back up she just laid there and she started making grunting noises. I picked her up and she was lifeless, I thought she was dead. I held her for a little while and then put her back in the hutch, and she was fine after that, she went and had some food and had a munch on some hay. It was really strange. What could of been the matter with her, it was quite frightening to see. She really loves her food. so thats a really good sign. I was also wondering how much food to give them, they are still young and growing so how much food and how often should I feed them. At the moment I give them a bowlful of food twice a day.

She was still limp when you picked her up? Hmm. Happy bunnies will flop on their sides. See this thread:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12279&forum_id=1

But normally they get t'd off if you disturb them when they're like that. Were her eyes rolling or did her limbs twitch? Has she or the other bun done this again? From your description it sounds a bit like a seizure.

Baby rabbits can get unlimited pellets and should also have unlimited hay.:)

No her eyes didnt roll round and her limbs didnt twitch. The other rabbit I have is fine, maybe she was just relaxed. she doesnt stop eating which is a really good sign so maybe she is okay.

If at all posible, I would reccomend that you let a vet check her out. If she was relaxed she would have probably moved when you went to pick her up. The relaxed "dead bunny flop" is when they are flopped over with their eyes rolled back. However, most bunnies immediately get out of that position when you so much as come near them.

I hope that everything is okay:pray:

my sister has a bun that does that it is a form of narcolepsy, when the rabbit gets exited she just falls over n u can pick her up n she stays limp until she comes out of it, it occurs in dogs as well

i hope i helped

Latest posts

Back