Storm's 5th litter, is mostly ignoring her kits and their bones are constantly showing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My bunny Storm, who is a year old and normally a GREAT bunny mommy has not been checking on her 4 day old babies much at all, and I have a feeling she is either not feeding them often or they are somehow not getting to her teats.

She would check on her babies constantly, and I would usually witness at least one of her feedings or check on the kits to find full, rounded bellies every day. But with this litter, every time I check on them, they always have either fairly empty bellies, or empty with visable ribs. I lost a kit that was very thin, only a few minutes ago. I am fully aware that bunnies nurse once or twice a day, for 3 - 5 minutes, and it is not uncommon to not see them nurse.

I have been home almost all day since after work Friday, and check on them 5 - 8 times a day. I did hold the remaining four to her teat to get something in their bellies, but only for a minute or so. Also stimulated them so they could use the bathroom (only the one that just passed urinated-- it was a lot...poor baby). This time, Storm has her winter coat, so her teats are not visable at all, nor are they swollen as they usually are (even months after weaning). Can this have anything to do with it? Should I trim her belly?

Aside from that I will be moving them to my bedroom, anything else I can so? Nothing hurts more than losing poor, defenseless baby bunnies :(

Edit: thanks to @Poopy Poo, I realized this is her 4th, not 5th. My apologies.

Last edited:
Hi, just wondering how can it be her 5th litter if she's only one year old? Gestation period is one month then nursing 2 months that's 3 months for one litter even if her first litter was at 5 months it's too often in my opinion maybe she had no time to recover and that is why she is not nursing properly? Just guessing?

Hi, just wondering how can it be her 5th litter if she's only one year old? Gestation period is one month then nursing 2 months that's 3 months for one litter even if her first litter was at 5 months it's too often in my opinion maybe she had no time to recover and that is why she is not nursing properly? Just guessing?
I was horrible and severely underestimated my male(s), so she had four pregnancies in a row (some while still nursing, sadly), as soon as she was furtile. For most of them, I had no idea how it happened when I tried to avoid it. For this one, it is the first one in 2 months; it was from a foster bunny who, I still do not remember ever being uncaged within 7 feet of her. Besides, my two males are neutered (got Panda done at under 3 months old. I would not believe it was him had 4 of the babies not been otters.

I was too afraid to get her spayed last month, due to her heavy breathing and occasional sneezing (This has gone on since she was 8 weeks), but I take full responsibility. :(

Edit: re-checked my calendar, and this is her 4th, which is still bad but not horrible animal abuse. Thank you for pointing that out.

Last edited:
I was horrible and severely underestimated my male(s), so she had four pregnancies in a row (some while still nursing, sadly), as soon as she was furtile. For most of them, I had no idea how it happened when I tried to avoid it. For this one, it is the first one in 2 months; it was from a foster bunny who, I still do not remember ever being uncaged within 7 feet of her. Besides, my two males are neutered (got Panda done at under 3 months old. I would not believe it was him had 4 of the babies not been otters.

I was too afraid to get her spayed last month, due to her heavy breathing and occasional sneezing (This has gone on since she was 8 weeks), but I take full responsibility. :(

Edit: re-checked my calendar, and this is her 4th, which is still bad but not horrible animal abuse. Thank you for pointing that out.

I also was thinking about how many litters she has had to only be a year old. I know with multiple bunnies “accidents” happen but we also have to be responsible bun parents. She is too young to have had 4 “accidents”.
Are you keeping her unspayed for breeding purposes?
Her body probably needs a break. That is a lot for a 1 year old bunny.
Try to get the babies to a local House Rabbit Society location. Contact one bc they offer have nursing moms and can put babies with them to nurse.

Just lost another baby... he was screaming for no reason, in the nestbox, so I took him out, patted him gently, feed him from Storm, then went downhill about 15 minutes later. One of the worst days of my life. Poor, poor babies.

Another one is about to pass any minute now. The remaining two are weak. This is too much, these poor little bunnies. Getting Storm spayed ASAP and getting rid of her daughter to ensure this never happens again. These poor babies deserved a better life.

Does anyone know why this happened, when I feed my bunnies well, avoid cleaning their area with anything but water and very mild soap, Storm has not had a litter in months, and the babies were born so lively? She always has 7 - 10, but only had 5 and the dad is NOT my rabbit. He is a purebred Lionhead.

Storm's last couple of litters had many that passed away and were born deceased and deformed. Is there anything I can do to make them suffer less?

Thank you to everyone who responded. I have never lost an entire litter.

Edit: all 4 otters are gone; only the black one remains, but has been the weakest one. Binky free, sweet bunnies

Attachments

• 20190829_200932.jpg
    20190829_200932.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 9
  • 20190829_222204.jpg
    20190829_222204.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back