Storing Hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tori

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm not sure if anyone remembers me, its been a while since I've posted anything. But anyway, I hope this is the right board for this. Yesterday I got some hay from a friend of mine who cuts and sells it. Well he sent me a lot more than I expected lol I put what I could into a tall plastic hamper so it could get plenty of air but left the rest in the plastic trash bag he sent it in. Will it be okay in there? I'm just concerned about it not getting enough air.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Tori,

Storing it in a plastic bag will increase the risk of mold. You could poke lots of holes in the bag, but that can be kinda messy.

I store mine in large cardboard cartons.

Poking some holes in the bag would be the easiest way. Well, poking is messy. Use a scissor and cut little half inch X's every 12 inches or so in the bag to give it enough air flow.

Okay, that's what I figured. Jim you said you store yours in cardboard cartons. I have plenty of big cardboard boxes lol Would it be fine just sticking it in there or does that need holes as well?

Thanks guys :)

No holes in the carton.
I make sure there's enough space around the inside to allow air flow, and I don't seal the top too tight.

I saved an old box from a 50lb Oxbow order.
The SweetMeadow that I've recently been buying comes in a box a bit smaller.
It works nice...I just open the SM, put the empty OB over the top, turn the whole thing over, and slip the SM box out. Tah-dah!!
My hay stores very well for a couple of months....and then it's all gone and time to order more.:D

Latest posts

Back