Storing hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stargazerLily

Reaction score
One of my coworkers owns large animals so I was able to buy a bale of hay (mixed grass and timothy) off of her. Right now I have it sitting in mygarage on a plastic tarp. What is the best way to store it. It needs to have good air supply andkept dry, right? Willstoring it in the garage on the tarp work, or should I move it into a plastic open top bin? Mylocation options are either the garage or the basement (small amounts, like 1/3 of the bale can be kept in the room they are in), both are fairly dry, but the basement has had sump pump problems in the past. Any suggestions?

Key words are dry and ventilated. :)

I'd put it on a platform if it's in the basement, or keep it in the garage if it's dry in there.

I keep mine in a bin the bathtub.Water did leak on some that had fallen out,so I gota first hand look at moldy hay,and it really does smell distinctly moldy! Made me feel better about being able to recognize it in thefuture. :)

sas :)

Yep, I agree with Sas, Dry and Ventilated. :)I keep my hay in the shed (totally dry) in a big plastic container, with the lid on, but not closed tight so air can get in. I buy it in relatively small quantities though,I haven't anywhere to store large amounts (and I'm allergic :grumpy:).

I think people shake it up a bit every so often to, to make sure it's all getting air. :)

Here's how we store ours...that's 120lbs of hay, which we go through in two months. Our girls each get 1/2lb of hay DAILY (Flower sometimes needs refills...so sometimes she eats a full lb a day)...and that amount will not lessen when we fly over our remaining five or six buns in about a month. Hehe!!

000_0008.jpg

Latest posts

Back