Stopping rabbits from chewing?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaciBear

Reaction score
My boyfriend and I are possibly going to be getting a house! I plan on moving all 3 rabbits I side. Is there a way to stop them from chewing on Sheetrock and woodwork? And how to bond two male rabbits with another male? They are all neutered.. But Zues (6 yrs) hates Charlie.. I would like them all (Zeus,Gizmo, and Charlie) to be able to run a room by them selves.. Any help would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

Sheetrock is a big calcium supplement block to a rabbit and very tasty. A lot of breeders use pieces in wire cages for them to sit on and chew up. If you don't want such things chewed you will have to buy gates, pens, or build wood and wire barriers. You can also line edges with cardboard but that's only really feasible in a small room and will need replaced periodically.

Some rabbits just don't get along and sometimes trying to bond a 3rd rabbit can make the other 2 start fighting. It's a tricky situation. Personally I've only housed unaltered same genders in large areas like 12x24' with lots of obstacles. My house rabbits are opposite genders.

Rabbits chew, there is not much you can do to stop it. If you don't want them chewing something like baseboards, you need to block them off. NIC grids or something similar works well. For carpet, you may need to lay down a suitable flooring to keep them away from the carpet. Basically, you need to bunny proof the area.

Not all rabbits will get along. You may need to give each their own run in the room or alternate who is out.

Zeus is bonded with Gizmo.. Has been for the last 6 yrs or so. I may plan on having pens for them to separate from each other. That is interesting to know about Sheetrock! I should tell my dad! He can't be made at the boys anymore!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

Many rabbit owners make indoor pens out of NIC grids (wire storage grids, with small hole spacing) - ziptie together to make a fence. Set the pen away from walls and woodwork, and you should be ok.
In terms of flooring, my crew is on a 6x6 piece of linoleum/vinyl flooring from the hardware store. The waterproof flooring is then overlaid with those big interlocking sponge tiles that you often see in nursery schools and daycares. (eg. http://www.fromthefloorsup.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Foam.jpg)

They are very easy to wipe clean, and allows the bunnies to get good traction.

My thought process is anything the buns have access to is theirs. Anything I would be upset if they chewed on or otherwise destroyed stays out of reach! Best way to go about it is to block their access.

Latest posts

Back