Stop me, I want a new bunny!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldoerr

Reaction score
So I really want to adopt a new bunny, but I know that it is a bad idea. I am a broke college student without a job. I live in a 1bdrm apt that already houses 2 rabbits, 1 cat and multiple aquariums. My parents are already complaining about the rabbits that I have now and are mad that I have them. I do not have a spot for a new cage (unless I use a dog crate as a cage). I am moving in May and will have room mates for the first time in my life. We have not picked where I will be living yet. We are not planning on telling the new apt complex that I have rabbits (most if not all do not allow them including the one that I am in currently). I do already have all the supplies for a new rabbit. I even have enough supplies to devide the new cage I built so that it would accomodate a new rabbit untill it could be bonded. I REALLY want to look at adoptable rabbits, but know that it is a bad idea because I will want one SOOOOOO bad and they already consume my whole life. What do you guys think? I think that what I am asking is for you guys to perswade we to not get one and to get my mind off of it.

BTW- I am sleep deprived at the moment and can not sleep. Also I am sick with something. Another thing. College starts back up on Monday.

Im feeling the same!!! But i gave myself a list of what has to happen, Marci and stanley have to get their spay and neuter when old enough, have to have the cage built FIRST and i have to be in my new house and have the room.

Obviously it does not sound like its doable at the moment and sounds like a situation where rabbits could POSSIBLY have to be rehomed. Fight the urge, i am doing the same! lol

Yikes this is a sinking boat we're all in apparently. I've been toying with the idea of a wife for Franklin! And not just any rabbit but another large french lop! Just say no! We are fixing to move as well. Plus Shya needs her eye removed. Store all the extra stuff in a box in the closet. Or at your parents house. Or your best friends so it doesn't tempt you. You wouldn't want someone to get left out because you've taken on to much. Just say no! We're all fighting it!

. Just say no! We're all fighting it!

Hahaha, this made me laugh. And it is so true! I know I can't have 3 rabbits, but I still check the adoptables all the time. Sometimes I go visit them! Sometimes it makes me sad but sometimes it gets me the quick fix I need ;)

Lauren, aren't you trying to find a home for Beauty? That wouldn't be very fair to her, if you found her and new home and them immediately replaced her with a new rabbit. I think you should stick with the two you have, because two IS enough. Go give them some extra love and you'll be over wanting a new one.

I think she wants to rehome Beauty and bond the new bunn to Shiny Things because she fought with Beauty.

I'm in the same boat, only I do have the means, well mostly. I live in a 2 bedroom with one being the designated petroom and the cage being big enough I think for two. I buy supplies in bulk so have stuff for months except for food which I either have to throw out or give away because pellets have a freshness date. I have the time and desire to bond a pair. Only thing holding me back is my wife (though she does want to but...) and my pickyness

I know its extremely selfish but I want another Flemish, and a specific colored one at that. I want it from a a good breeder because I want to know the line the rabbit came from and thus know the history I'm inheriting. I'm uneasy over bonding because while I can take care of two seperate rabbits as pets I'd rather not. I'm too dedicated and responsible to give up on a pet if its not ideal and I'm sensitive enough on the matter to understand just any two rabbits together might be unfair and cause undue stress.

Now before people chime in how horrible I am, and I know I am in part, when I worked farms I was a slave to my family and the animals so I never enjoyed them much. Then when I grew up a bit and had actual pets they were always shelter and strays. I loved those pets dearly and took care of them so I wont say the experience was ever negative, but I guess for once in my life I want something on my terms. If I had the means I think I would be a breeder, but I don't so this choice is my satisfaction. Its also why a second rabbit will only remain a desire.

Last edited:
Most pet hobbies have some varied of "multiple ____ syndrome". Birds, fish, etc. It is largely a mental thing - in some ways an addiction to that feeling you get when you shop around for a new pet, buy stuff for it, adopt the animal and interact with it. On some level we get "bored" of what we have. Not to say that our pets bore us, but our excitement does wane after a while (which is normal - "good" becomes "normal", if you know what I mean) and we start to look for that high again.

You get a new rabbit, and you will just want another one in six months. It is hard to be happy with what you have but it sounds like in your case it's not only a recommendation, it's a necessity. Because you don't have the space to house one, the money to buy one, and certainly not the money to pay for emergency medical and whatever.

It's a hard habit to break but the craving does pass. Occupy yourself with doing little things to improve the life of the pets you already have - build a new hutch, get some new aquarium plants, train your cat and rabbits to do tricks. Wait it out, it'll pass.

During my peek on my aquariums I had 9 of them in my 1bdrm apt along with a dog and the rabbits. I know the feeling of multiple tank syndrome all to well. I actually JUST (about 2 weeks ago) built the rabbits a brand new cage that is more than double the size of their old one, but does not take up more that a 6" width wise increase in floor space. I spent 1 month planning it out and then a weekend building it.

KittyKatMe is exactly right about why I want to rehome beauty and get the new bunny. I have been trying to rebond Beauty and Shiny Things for over a month or more now and it is just not happening. I would NEVER give Beauty to someone that I thought would not treat her like I treat her and that would not spoil her. Beauty's hay habbits have gotten REALLY expensive lately (she will only eat binky bunny oat hay). If one of the rabbits needed medical help I have $$ set aside for an emergence and my parents would help out I know. (They pay for everything for me as it is). My parents just keep thinking to the way I kept rabbits for 4 years when I breed them. They do not think that rabbits need hay very often. The do not think that a rabbit needs a big cage because of the way that I used to keep my rabbits (that I regret now). They think that I should buy pellets at the feed store for $13 for a 50lb bag and that rabbits do not need toys.

Sorry to go off on a tangent. I forget what I was talking about now or the point I was trying to make. Sorry. If I remember I will post again.

Not my thread but on topic and a personal update. This weekend I actually had a fight with the wife over getting another rabbit. Apparently there was a fawn Flemish Doe available and I wanted her. I lost the argument, and in fairness she loves pets (my **** bun seems to be bonding more to her then me! :)) but getting one rabbit spooked her much less getting a second so I can't blame her in shutting me down.

Adoption isn't in the cards either, since we live in an apartment with a no pet clause (though the landlord likes us so he might relent but we're not willing to take the chance) and most if not all shelters ask to speak to the landlord or know your set up. Frankly if they found out about Conan the Bunbarian we'd move, no questions (my wife is adamant on that) rather then give up our bunny but why go through the hassle unnecessarily now. We're waiting to eventually buy a place.

I mention all this because its frustrating and I want to vent a bit. I fully think we have the space and that I can bond rabbits, but my wife doesn't like the time it will take or the upset, especially when it comes to downsizing Conan's current big cage. I guess I just wanted so bad to try cause I really do love having a rabbit and I just hate putting off the little affordable pleasures in life. I'll never be a quarterback of a pro football team, probably never own a buggatti veyron, unlikely to ever see space, or be a multi billionaire but **** it I can have a 2nd rabbit :)! Or could, but it's not meant to be for now. I even grudgingly admit my wife is probably right in not upsetting the one we have now with a total stranger, but I can't help but want. Oh well.

@troller...is your wife's resistance to a second bun simply the "what if they don't get along?" or does she have more reasoning behind not wanting to try it?

Zoe did put it perfectly. My parents told us that we would either have to get rid of a pet or a kid if we wanted a new pet. I just got my first pet almost two years ago, and it was so exciting when we first got her! But now my stepsister and I both want another dog and another bunny. Neither is going to happen. We have limited funds and limited space and our two dogs, while they love each other, get very jealous of each other. (The little one is on the couch, the big one wants on too. The big one gets on and nudges my day's hand to pet her, the little one barks at the big one and tries to shove her away. Similarly, if the big one doesn't get to be on the couch, she will put the little one's face in her mouth or shove it up, then grab her by her collar and drag her off.)

We are all human, and we will never be completely satisfied with what we have.

@troller...is your wife's resistance to a second bun simply the "what if they don't get along?" or does she have more reasoning behind not wanting to try it?

She has good reasons. She's not necessarily against the idea of bonding rabbits, but yes she just doesn't want it to be two separate rabbits like you mention. Of course some bonds do break and even the bet aren't 100% guaranteed. Also:

1) Worries about Conan losing cage space. Right now he's in a two story, 4ft by 6ft cage. Good for just him, bare minimum should I split it in half and his free range will be curtailed during bonding. She loves Conan and doesn't want him getting upset about freedoms being curtailed.

2) Concerned about the length of time it will take and the inevitable behavioral issues it might bring up. She likes the way the house is now and doesn't want us to be inundated by pee and poop. Conan is well behaved, even before his neuter, so she's worried he'll go wilder with a new addition. Or that the new addition won't go as smoothly as he did.

3) Since shelters and adoptions are at least for the forseeable next two years out of the question due to their prerequisites, I'd have to buy one. I'm good with that but that venue doesn't help with support for bonding. Well there is two shelters/organizations that could help even if your bring your own (I'm not sure though if they still require landlord convo though) that still leaves it quite chancy for it working out. This in part is why I was so gung-ho, I wanted a rabbit close to Conan's age and breeders don't usually sell older rabbits. Well, at least until their reproductive cycle is over. Of course getting a rabbit without rabbit dating makes it quite harder to bond and my wife doesn't trust my abilities no matter how much research I do on the matter.

4) She hasn't said it, but I'm sure she thinks its a selfish desire because my current bunny doesn't show me as much affection as he does her. No, I like having him around and watching him, I guess I just want to watch another one. How they relate, what they do with each other etc.Heck, I get satisfaction just from cleaning his cage! I'm generally a stand offish guy so I don't need slobbering devotion nor desire it (I don't like dogs, not really. I like cats, but not as much as rabbits).

I think I covered the majors here. As she said to me, if it were guaranteed she be more willing. But love at first sight, even with speed dating is rare. Even with a good match it takes time to adjust them. It helps that I can talk about it at least because few people around me understand how cool rabbits are and why a person would want more then one.

Well, she does have valid concerns. Many of the same I had :) I was SO nervous too. I hemmed and hawed on here for awhile before I got Archie. But then I knew that I had to at least try. I'd never know if I didnt! I went through a rescue and did have the agreement with them that I could return Archie if they didn't bond. I *hated* even thinking that but it was just reality for me because I, like you, did not want two seperate buns. Luckily though, it worked out.
It really is something to watch two buns interact. I've had an enjoyable experience with it start to finish. Even during bonding, although tedious and busy, I was enjoying watching their courtship! It was fascinating :)

I so understand what everyone is saying. Whether it´s that first love when you first get your new bunny or even that awful feeling when you see a rabbit in a petstore that´s been there for ages, you really have to look at the consequences of bringing another bunny into the picture.

There´s a gorgeous black and white lop mix at the petstore in the shopping centre. He´s been there for ages, at least three months and every time I go there, I can´t resist popping into the shop to see if he´s still there. I hate seeing him as he looks so sad and lonely even though there are other buns and guinea pigs in with him and he´s so gorgeous that I am so tempted every time to take him home but know that I haven´t got the space or the finances to support a fourth bunny, don´t even know if it´s a boy or girl. It breaks my heart to see him, I even stopped going there for about three weeks but I just hope that pretty soon someone falls in love with him. I just know that that someone can´t be me however much it hurts.

I'm so sorry to hear about all the things on the way between you and another bunny....
Maybe some day it will work.. or maybe you'll just have the courage to defy all the issues and just take a bunny home and see what happens.. I mean, once the bunny is there, things would HAVE to adjust, right? ;)

So I really want to adopt a new bunny, but I know that it is a bad idea. I am a broke college student without a job. I live in a 1bdrm apt that already houses 2 rabbits, 1 cat and multiple aquariums. My parents are already complaining about the rabbits that I have now and are mad that I have them. I do not have a spot for a new cage (unless I use a dog crate as a cage). I am moving in May and will have room mates for the first time in my life. We have not picked where I will be living yet. We are not planning on telling the new apt complex that I have rabbits (most if not all do not allow them including the one that I am in currently). I do already have all the supplies for a new rabbit. I even have enough supplies to devide the new cage I built so that it would accomodate a new rabbit untill it could be bonded. I REALLY want to look at adoptable rabbits, but know that it is a bad idea because I will want one SOOOOOO bad and they already consume my whole life. What do you guys think? I think that what I am asking is for you guys to perswade we to not get one and to get my mind off of it.

BTW- I am sleep deprived at the moment and can not sleep. Also I am sick with something. Another thing. College starts back up on Monday.

Than thats all the reason NOT to bring another animal into your living situation. If you don't have a job.. Why? What happens if your rabbits have a serious medical problem? you can't afford to take care of it. People with out jobs should not own animals. Also I saw you state that you want to rehome a rabbit and get another one?? WHAT?! totally selfish of you to do that, get rid of one and get another. I can't believe you're even thinking of doing that. PLEASE don't get another rabbit. and possibly just get rid of them all. you can't TRUELY take care of them without a job.

Latest posts

Back