Stop family from feeding my bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe he will stable out over time. My buns will go to the pellets as if they have never eaten in their lives, eat for a few minutes, go chill, come back and eat for a few minutes and so on. After 30-45 minutes I take up what is left so now I have a good idea of how much they eat of them.
Oh, I hear ya! Bun vets are $$$$ and mine have broken the bank a time or two but I also know if there is an issue, the regular vets are wrong about 90% of the time which makes me have to pay them only to turn around and pay for the bun vet anyway.
I will say that I communicate with my Georgia chapter of House Rabbit Society all the time and they are a huge help- just over the phone. They know my bunnies now and I have the “bunny medical kit” that I learned to put together over time that covers medicines, injury supplies, grooming tools, etc. The bun vet also knows my bunnies and I have his personal cell phone number since I live so far away. I have the personal cell of a local vet too and she trained in exotics but she is awesome enough that if she is not sure of her diagnosis, she will reach out to a colleague to discuss. She is local and fantastic. I am able to reach out to GHRS or the vets at the first sign of something being off and most of the time we can resolve it without a visit. If they weren’t so kind to us, there is just no way I could financially manage all their medical stuff. The vets are great in that they will offer me medicines or supplies that are set to expire shortly for a discounted rate (since I need it right then) and we try a lot of the care at home first while I stay in contact with them. I do have one that has been medically fragile since birth and I have medical insurance on her because of the cost to keep her healthy and issue free. She also has some neurological stuff too.
These little guys sure keep us on our toes! I learned over the years of rescue work I have been a part of to learn your local or state rescues and they are really a huge community of family and support. I am so grateful to have the connections I have and the support structure. But I worked at it to get to this point. Maybe you can get to know some of your people too so you can have some additional support in times like this.

I know he’s overweight I can’t feel any of his spine on the back when pressing down. His bum is round and fluffy with a good amount of fat.

But he’s still a happy bunny that binky and play everyday. Running with full speed through the rooms and following my dad and mom for food. But everything points towards dad being the main culprit for feeding Odin the most. Because Odin follow him like a shadow, my dad can’t go to the bathroom alone.

Same thing happens when Toste when he move indoors, after a week he’s stuck with dad while begging for food. And my parents will always complain the bunnies are in the way, because they follow them. While me and my brother just tell them to stop feeding them, or just feed them when they do tricks with them.

My brother often help me with economy if somethings happens with my bunnies. Because he worked more instead of going to university. So he have saved up bit of money. My family will also step in and all my bunnies have insurance. Through the insurance company, I can call different vet and ask questions during a video call without cost.

Don’t know how it will look in 2 years if I move away up north or just move nearby. Depends on if I will work for a pharmacolgy company/industry or just be selling in a pharmacy.

So later I would have to look up new rabbit savy vet and fix an emergency kit. Don’t have the optimal emergency kit because I can just drive to the rabbit savy vet any time I need. If something would happen.

Latest posts

Back