Stop eating my carpet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peaches

Reaction score
Baby Peaches joined me a week ago, and he's a baby Holland Lop. He tears up the carpet and I'm worried about him eating some of it (he probably is), so any tips?

Last edited:
This is a picture of him, just relaxing after eating
0404181640-1.jpg

How old is he? You may need to keep him off of carpet until he's neutered. He may do better after that.

You definitely don't want him getting away with carpet chewing or he'll think it is ok. Sometimes it's the type of carpet that is enticing. Tightly woven carpet with short nap is less inviting, for instance, than carpet that has easy to grab fibers.

Get some seagrass mats for him to destroy and provide plenty of hay to satisfy that munching.

It may just be a matter of waiting out his babyhood until he can be neutered.

If that is carpet in his cage I would get it out. Ingesting carpet fibers can lead to a digestive blockage occurring, so if there is any possibility he is ingesting the carpet fibers, you need to prevent him having access to carpet.

Other options are lining the cage with fleece fabric which is less likely to have fibers chewed and swallowed, or sheets of newspaper(as long as he's not trying to consume this as well). He may dig and shred it, but that is ok as it is a good enrichment activity and is easily cleaned up and replaced.

I got him some toys to play with and those seem to keep him from tearing up the carpet. The problem I have is that my house only has carpet like that. He is only 8 weeks old so he can't be neutered yet.

Hi, Everyone!
Bunny Bob likes to chew the edges of the carpet too. He just got neutered in January and didn't do this prior to his surgery. I still feel guilty for putting him through such an ordeal. Bob just doesn't seem the same as he did before!
Do you think his hormones are still adjusting?

Sue it very well could be... for chewing on carpet spray vinegar mixed with water on your carpet.. not to much vinegar or your house will smell like it... buns dont like the smell and will not lick or eat anything with vinegar...

and, yes, Sue, hormones of a newly neutered bun can go wacky for awhile. It could take 6 weeks (possibly 8) after surgery for those hormones to fully dissipate.

Latest posts

Back