Stop chewing cords

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maiko

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know how to stop bunnies chewing power cords? We've hidwhat we can but we have to keep her out of our bedroom as she getsunder the bed and chews away.

I'd love her to come into our room and hang out with us but at the moment it's a big no no.

I've got two kinds of wire covers for Pipp, whois quite the littlechewer. One is a hardclear plastic that you have to split with a box cutter to slip over thecords, but she can't sink her teeth into it. It comes in alot of different sizes, I forget which one worked the best,sorry!

The other is a soft black plastic curly type that comes alreadysplit. She can chew the latter, but so far hasn't managed toget right through it to reach the wire. You can getboth at electrical supply or home hardware type stores.

The first kind is a little stiff, so its good for wires that don't movemuch. The second kind is best for things that move around(like the keyboard and mouse before i got the bright idea to gowireless).

sas :) and pipp :devil

you could use that thing that one canfind in the automotive section, it is a hard flexible plastic that isalready split it is used for covering the wires in automobile. theycome in various colors, i am using some myself to protect my wires fromthe rats, one of the rats is a chewer and taught the others how to dothat, she chewed thru my ethernet cord, and chewed part of mycomputer powercord, thanks god she didn't chomp thru the wholewire, just a single strand of the mass of twisted wireswithin the cord, which was probably why i heard a squeak that i pickedup from my cochlear implant device (with hearing aid, i can't hear highfreq.)

I use the soft spiral stuff that Pipp mentionedand it works great for me! My buns have better things to chewon than wires that are too large to fit in their mouths.;)

I use the soft spiral wire covering that was mentioned above. It worked for a while :), but then Frank found he could chew through it. :(
I've even tried using the nasty tasting spray over the covers and that didn't stop him either. :eek:
I had his teeth filed by the vet just last week and then re-covered all the wires. He's still chewing through the new covers and right through the wires. :mad: Fortunately, he only chews the low voltage wires. :cool:

Anyone have any suggestions?

I use the hard spiral wrap on our cords. It is cheap, so we get it in 100-foot rolls. Two sizes are all we need, 1/8-inch and 1/4-inch. The buns don't seem to be attracted to it like they are to softer insulation.

https://www.cabletiesandmore.com/spiral-wraps.php

It takes a bit of practice to develop a technique for wrapping; but, in the long run it is a worthwhile effort.

The thing about the split tubing that scares me off is the price, $25 for ten-feet, that's $2.50 per foot. Scary expensive.

Latest posts

Back