Stop chewing & Cage Advice Pls...Help🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessiiAnn

Reaction score
How do I get my rabbit to stop chewing on his wooded cage???..Also would it be better to make his cage outta those metal storage cubes

Normally they have spots where they like to chew - like the bottom part of the doors. I put a replaceable soft wood board (from a pallet or something) there, a little higher than the door frame so they start on that.

I also give tree branches and twigs - apple, willow, ash, fir.... -, that turns their gnawing addiction into a healthy snack.

Well, what I've read dogs and rabbits have different tastes, and they actally like bitter stuff, like dandelions. And apples. ;)

Before bying anything I would search for some positive experiences with that product.

Here's his current setup and I definitely gotta get him more toys...How long does it usually take for him to start using the litter box..Also his cage is getting moved from where it's at in case anyone has a concern about the outlet plus my fiance just forgot to put the cover back in the outlet 20200406_222800.jpg

That looks like it's mostly made out of pine board or white pine. If you have scraps of it, you could actually put that in his cage if he likes to chew on it. If there is a particular area he is chewing, you could double up that area with an extra piece so he can chew it. That extra piece can then be replaced as needed.

As for litter training, how long have you had him? Is he neutered? What is in the litter box? Here is a page from my website on litter training:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.html
It is pretty common for a rabbit to scatter poos about his new area when first brought home. If he is urinating in the box, then that is great. The poos will follow.

What are the floor dimensions of the cage? Height?

5x3x4..Had him for a month now,he's not fixed we had an appointment to do just that then this virus happened so I don't even know if I can still take him to the vet since all this is going on..Nope he hasn't even peed in the litter box at all the breeder was using wood shavings and pellets which she does with all her Flemish Giant's since she's been breeding...The wood shavings don't really bother him at all since I've been using everything that she did and I never changed his diet either..Just trying to introduce him to different foods cause all she was giving him was greens(veggies) so he really doesn't know anything else besides his greens

How long does it usually take for them to start using the litter box??..He definitely wasn't litter trained the day I got him from the breeder and I honestly wish he was though lol...He's only peed in the litter box once and hasn't ever since ughh🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ Also I don't think he even had a hay feeder and he doesn't know anything about toys at all except for apple wood sticks and the apple wood balls...I even gave him a cardboard box to play with and to chew on which he definitely doesn't show any interest in anything that I put in front of him...Please Help!!!

Also the breeder uses pellets that they use in Horse stables and pine shavings which both comes from Tractor Supply including his food..The breeder has been using those two things with all her rabbits and Cupid doesn't seem bothered Or anything when it comes to the pine shavings

How long does it usually take for them to start using the litter box??.

What is his age? Even rabbits that litter train when very young can forget that training with the onset of hormones. If your guy is hormonal, it can be an uphill battle to expect him to go in the litter box. Once he's neutered and hormones have dissipated, rabbits typically train themselves. All we need to do is to provide the right set up and they will go in the box of their own accord. I'm afraid you may need to be patient and wait it out until he's neutered.

How is he with you hay feeder? Does he hop in the litter box and eat if from there? How much is he eating?

One suggestion I would have if you are getting frustrated is to switch things up a little. I'd put a big wad of hay directly in the litter box (under the rack). It can go on top of the shaving or, you can skip the shavings and put it directly on top of the wood pellets.

Latest posts

Back