Stomping after being put down

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norman1

Reaction score
Hi,

so I have had my new rabbit (first rabbit) for about 3 weeks and he is about 15/16 weeks old. He absolutely loves being stroked and I have recently been picking him up to cuddle which he also seems to also really like as he stays there for ages. However, whenever I put him down he sprints in circles around my and stomps his leg whilst making grunting sounds. From what I have read this means he is angry, but would that be because I have put him down? He has also peed on my a few times which I read was mating behaviour. I just dont want him to become aggressive as he is still quite young and wont be neutered until he is 6 months old. Is this behaviour something I should be concerned about and if so does anyone have any advice? or is it normal? Thank you :)

Um, no. Not angry. Circling, grunting, then stomping at you. He's expressing hormonal behavior and maybe some sexual frustration. If it's mostly following after you've been cuddling and stroking him, it could also be in part that he isn't happy that you've stopped the cuddles and stroking.

Um, no. Not angry. Circling, grunting, then stomping at you. He's expressing hormonal behavior and maybe some sexual frustration. If it's mostly following after you've been cuddling and stroking him, it could also be in part that he isn't happy that you've stopped the cuddles and stroking.

Thanks! It was sexual frustrating as tonight he has begun nipping me and would not stop humping my leg. His testacles havent yet dropped so is there any advice on stopping this behaviour? Thanks

There isn't much to do that could help with his behaviour pre-neuter. It just won't go away with a teenage buck.
Musti was the sweetest, cuddliest buckling, he could live off cuddles and kisses all day long. At around 5months, he became crazy hormonal, honking at and humping everything in sight, including unsuspecting mum's head.
She tried to 'wait it out' but after a few months had enough and told me that it would be fine if i got him neutered, as long as the obnoxiousness would stop. It did stop few weeks after being neutered and everyone was pleased. Our rabbits have all been neutered asap ever since.
Good luck with your little chap, he's just too attracted to you!

Sounds like teenage buck hormones. But also, rabbits "thump" their back feet to communicate. Probably telling you he's frustrated about being put down or wants something else. Not necessarily angry. And by peeing on you he is marking his territory.

Thanks! It was sexual frustrating as tonight he has begun nipping me and would not stop humping my leg. His testacles havent yet dropped so is there any advice on stopping this behaviour? Thanks

There isn't a lot you can do to stop a really hormonal and determined buck, besides avoiding contact. Sometimes establishing yourself as the 'top bun' can deter the behavior, but not always, especially when it's not just minor hormonal behavior.

Bucks can suck their testicles up into their body, so his testicles could have descended already(and likely have with how hormonally he's behaving) and you may not be noticing because he's pulling them back up when you're looking. I would suggest calling around to the different vets that are knowledgeable rabbit vets, to see if you can find one that will neuter once a bucks testicles have dropped regardless of age. Otherwise, you'll just have to wait out this hormonal behavior until he's 6 months old.

Latest posts

Back