Stomach pains, what to do?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermelin

Reaction score
My bunny yesterday manage to eat a little bit of gummy and plastic from slippers, that he managed to destroy.

He was normal and played around, early morning today he ate little hay and played around in his cage. But now, he refuses eating anything and he’s pressing his stomach on the floor. His stomach is soft and doesn’t feel like he have gas. This is 4 hours later after him acting normal in the cage.

He was normal around 8:00 but been acting strange the last 4 hours. Noticed first he was acting strange recently, when he was going to free roam. Because he didn’t act how he usually does, when he get out.

My first thought when reading this was a blockage. When Bugs had one at the beginning of this year, he was constantly pressing his stomach to the ground and refused to take his favorite foods. A blockage could also be the case if it doesn't feel like gas. Bugs was given Metoclopramide and I believe, Baytril, but I believe meds given will vary from country to country. My suggestion would be to get him to the vet as soon as possible.

I’m sitting at the vet and waiting, This will eat my money I don’t even have.

I’ve been massaging his stomach and forced fluids + critical care into him.

I'm so sorry. You'll have to keep me updated. Things like this always seem to happen at the wrong time.

Really wrong time to get sick, it’s his birthday today. But I’m lucky I have rabbit knowledge veterinarian 30 mins away.

Hopefully he'll get better soon you're very good for reacting quickly!

I had to leave him at the veterinarian. Truly hope he will be okay.
IMG_5591.jpg

What does the vet think it is? He looks so tiny and scared. Happy birthday to him though.

They think he got GI stasis (think that’s the name in english). So he was going to get drip, pain relief and medications.

I’m really worried about him, just early morning I saw him playing around normal with his binkys and flops. He always wake me up extremely early when he starts playing every morning.

I’m really worried about him, just early morning I saw him playing around normal with his binkys and flops. He always wake me up extremely early when he starts playing every morning.
Poor thing, hope he'll be alright soon. I had a blockage once myself it was an unforgettable experience good that your vet can watch him and keep him on painkillers, keep us updated!

Thank god, he have insurance otherwise this would bury me alive (poor unemployed student). The medication cost it’s 1500$ (that’s a month of working my ass of during summer) and the rest don’t know yet. But he’s doing better and there’s a chance for him coming home today [emoji5]

He responded good on the medication and during the night he had started to eat hay again.

I was planning to save the money from working during summer vacation, everything will go to the bunnies. Really starting to regret the past year I choice to travel [emoji28]

My sweetheart is home, eating his hay. He’s a little bit tired but he will soon be the energetic bunny he is.

The house really felt empty without him. But he’s stuck in the cage until he fully recovers, still have to keep an eye on him. To make sure none resident plastic remains and trouble him.

He’s banned to eat slippers again, said the veterinarians.

IMG_5596.jpg

That's a ton of money! I'm glad he's home now.

I have 1000$ that the insurance will cover every year for veterinarian. Thinking to update the insurance, because that amount of money would disappear if something more urgent procedures would had to fix. Or having to run to veterinarian again during one year.

No more slippers!!!
A few months ago my bunno got sick in a similar way and we think it was because he ate up a plastic shopping back from Ikea. Bad bunnos!
He is so cute and I am so glad he is recovering!!

You think, you manage to bunny safe the house. Yet, they will find ways to eat something else from plastic to stealing food.

You can never be sure with bunnies [emoji5]

No kidding! The stories we all could tell.... It is absolutely insane how smart my rabbit is. He is way too smart for his own good. But not smart enough to avoid plastic slippers!

Latest posts

Back