Stinky poops

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haru the Lionhead

Reaction score
Hello guys, haru’s poops has been smelly lately, I don’t smell it all the time, but sometimes while I’m laying down, I would smell something very bad, then the smell would go, it’s like she’s farting.. do they fart? does it smell?
When I clean the poops from the floor I stick my face close to them to check them and they would smell very bad.
Today she pooped and I smelled it, it was very bad and it smelled a bit sour, but it looked normal, after a few minutes she sniffed it and ate it.. I’m 100% sure it’s not cecotropes.
I’ve never smelled cecotropes so I don’t know what it smells like, I’m thinking maybe the poops smells like cecotropes? but what could be the reason?
I haven’t changed anything in her diet, she eats timothy hay mixed with mountain grass hay with camomile, and I give her a cup of alfalfa, she also gets a cup of veggies ( romane, rocca, dill, mint, and coriander ) and versel laga pellets

Hi, do they smell a bit like onions?

What age is s/he? Can you take a pic of them? They are regular round shape or larger like zeppelin shape, they look darker than usual poos and they a little like wet? Does she do normal dry round poos as well or only these stinky poos

Hi, do they smell a bit like onions?

What age is s/he? Can you take a pic of them? They are regular round shape or larger like zeppelin shape, they look darker than usual poos and they a little like wet? Does she do normal dry round poos as well or only these stinky poos
I’m not sure about onions, but it’s a bit sour so maybe yes
She’s almost one year old, they are regular poops, they are darker than before, and it’s a little bit wet.
She only does these stinky poops
1DBFB854-5D28-4A4A-A3A7-01C813A86B1D.jpeg
FD6C16B2-ADC1-431D-8CEF-5754CD0A0699.jpeg

She’s more jumpy.. doesn’t let me sit beside her, no more cuddles, and whenever I move she runs away even if I wasn’t going to her direction.
When I played with her like I used to, she lunged at me and bit me, and when we feed her by hand she lunges, today i was giving her pellets and she grunted at me and ran away!! Is that related to the poops?

I can't diagnose from here, poo in the second photo is a bit dark and wet, it can be because (I think) her diet might be a bit too rich. As you said you feed alfalfa and it is not advisable for adult rabbits after 4-6 months, is she a little fat? Also I don't know your pellet brand what ingredients. I think that 1 cup is too much, usually recommended 50 gram or 1/4 cup daily.
Poos in first photo look very different, not as dark as the second photo.

If she is one year old (btw is she neutered?), it can be hormonal, but also can be sign of parasites, especially you say she gets aggressive, is she scratching a lot licking her bum a lot? I would try inspecting her poos with a magnifier if there are any signs of worms.

But my first though that her diet is too rich she doesn't need alfalfa and her portion is more than she needs, that could definitely cause dark wet poos.

I can't diagnose from here, poo in the second photo is a bit dark and wet, it can be because (I think) her diet might be a bit too rich. As you said you feed alfalfa and it is not advisable for adult rabbits after 4-6 months, is she a little fat? Also I don't know your pellet brand what ingredients. I think that 1 cup is too much, usually recommended 50 gram or 1/4 cup daily.
Poos in first photo look very different, not as dark as the second photo.

If she is one year old (btw is she neutered?), it can be hormonal, but also can be sign of parasites, especially you say she gets aggressive, is she scratching a lot licking her bum a lot? I would try inspecting her poos with a magnifier if there are any signs of worms.

But my first though that her diet is too rich she doesn't need alfalfa and her portion is more than she needs, that could definitely cause dark wet poos.
Thank you very much!! Yes, I think it’s from the alfalfa, I saw my friends rabbit today and she eats alfalfa and her poops smell the same (she’s two months old)
Haru is a bit under weight that’s why i feed her alfalfa, also she’s sleeping or laying down all the time, but when I started to give her alfalfa she became more energetic.
Sorry for not being clear, I give her 1/8 cup of pellets.
Haru had a cage that I used to lock her in when I sleep or go out, but every time I let her out i also take out her litter box and water, last week I let her out even when I’m not around and she didn’t go to the cage, so I took it out of the room and now she free roams all the time, could she be stressed because I removed it? I don’t know why she’s being aggressive..

Well, are you completely sure its your rabbits poop? My bun's litter box sometimes smells disgusting, even when I just cleaned it. Also, how much does he weigh? Sorry for all the questions, but sometimes your rabbit might look underweight, Haru might be completely normal. If he is almost one year old, then right when you think he is at a healthy weight I completely recommend switching to a grass based hay. Herbal, oat, orchard, timothy etc. Bye, bye Haru!!

Well, are you completely sure its your rabbits poop? My bun's litter box sometimes smells disgusting, even when I just cleaned it. Also, how much does he weigh? Sorry for all the questions, but sometimes your rabbit might look underweight, Haru might be completely normal. If he is almost one year old, then right when you think he is at a healthy weight I completely recommend switching to a grass based hay. Herbal, oat, orchard, timothy etc. Bye, bye Haru!!
Yes I sniffed the poops 🌚
She’s 1.3 kg her weight is average but when I touch her, she’s a bit bony more than other rabbits that I’ve touched. The vet also told me that she is thin compared to other rabbits. I give her timothy and mountain grass. I stopped the alfalfa and the poops doesn’t smell bad anymore, but they got smaller..

Latest posts

Back